Sunday 12 February 2023

Wally Cox


            On Saturday morning I memorized the first thirteen lines of "Fugue" by Boris Vian. That's about half the lyrics that I have but I notice there are additional lyrics in the recording that are not anywhere online in text form. 
            I finished working out the chords for "Le bonheur c'est malheureux" (Happiness is Very Sad) by Serge Gainsbourg. I ran through the song in French and English and then uploaded it to Christian's Translations. It's all ready to publish on the blog, other than to post the accompanying video. 
            I weighed 84.3 kilos before breakfast, which is the lightest I've been in the morning in a week.
            In the late morning I went to Vina Pharmacy where my Betaderm prescription had finally gone through. I asked them to fax my doctor about it two weeks ago. Last week they sent the fax again. My doctor's office said they didn't get a fax about it last week but Vina has a record of having sent it. It's not that big a deal but it is the longest I've ever had to wait. 
            I went to no Frills where I bought six bags of grapes, a pack of ground beef, 100 kitchen bags, Folger's coffee, skyr, and toilet paper. 
            I had a half hour space before lunch when I could have worked on my essay, but I dozed off. 
            I weighed 84.8 kilos just before lunch. I had saltines with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of limeade. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride to Bloor and Ossington. I stopped at a couple of variety stores along Bloor that sold plants to try to find a rosemary plant for my upstairs neighbour David, but they didn't have any. One place said it was too cold. I stopped at a store called The Green Iguana with lots of plants in the window, but it turns out to be a pottery store. 
            I weighed 84.8 kilos at 16:45, which is the most I've weighed at that time in a month. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 17:42. 
            I spent a couple of hours on my essay and I think I made some progress at ending part two and segueing into part three: 

            Jane's reflection in Helen and her reflection in the mirror in the red room have in common an aura of death. When Helen dies in Jane's arms, Jane absorbs and comes into the fullest union with her reflection in Helen thereby further developing her sense of self (Brontë 98). This is evidenced by Jane's account of her subsequent life at the school. She says, "I had the means of an excellent education placed within my reach" (Brontë 98). This is reflected in Helen's statement that, "I was sent to Lowood to get an education; and it would be of no use going away until I have attained that object (Brontë 66)." Jane further says of her years at Lowood following Helen's death that, she had a great delight in pleasing her teachers (Brontë 100). These teachers would have included Miss Scatcherd, who Helen had warned her to be careful of because she was quick tempered, and who Jane had observed to be "cross and cruel' (Brontë 61, 67). Jane's initial attitude towards Miss Scatcherd's cruelty was that if she were as cruel to her as she was to Helen, Jane would resist her and meet violence with violence. But Helen presented Jane with a future reflection of herself that was not rebellious and non-violent which Jane suspected to be right (Brontë 66-67). Over the eight years that Jane spent at Lowood following Helen's death, she would have likely fallen victim to the cruelty of Miss Scatcherd at least once. The fact that she nonetheless delighted in pleasing even the meanest instructor is proof that Jane came to wear Helen's prophetic reflection of herself. 
            But Jane requires the view of one more elevated reflection of herself in others for her to complete the formation of her mature ego. This comes at the end of a life-threatening ordeal that bears a striking resemblance to the type of dream described by psychoanalyst Jacques Lacan as symbolizing the formation of the I. 

            I made four patties from the ground beef I bought today and grilled them in the oven. I had one burger on a slice of Bavarian sandwich bread with curry ketchup, salsa, Dijon, and horseradish. I ate it for dinner with a beer while watching season 4, episode 29 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            It's Jane's day off and she plans on picking up Professor P. Caspar Biddle, the leader of her bird watching group. But Mr. Drysdale insists on her coming with him to the Clampett mansion to get Jed to sign some tax forms. So they pick up the professor on the way. At the Clampett home the professor meets Elly May, who demonstrates her rapport with birds by calling a blue jay down from a tree to her hand. The professor wants Elly to join their bird watching group and so she is given a uniform, which looks a lot like a scout uniform. Seeing Elly in the uniform causes the professor to be smitten with Elly and he asks her out. 
            Meanwhile Jed asks Drysdale to get in touch with Dash Riprock about dating Elly again. Dash has been avoiding Elly because he is afraid of Granny and her shotgun. Drysdale threatens Dash with casting him in a TV show called Crabman. Dash is a movie actor and in those days it was believed that too much television exposure was a death stroke to a successful film career, so Dash gives in. When Dash comes to see Elly he insists on her breaking her date with the professor, since Dash broke six dates to be with her. There is a confrontation between the professor and Dash resulting in Elly wrestling Dash to the ground and making him say "uncle". Elly and Dash make a date for the next night. 
            During the episode, Jed learns that the professor has been living with the California condors in the mountains. Jed and Granny knew a family named Condor back in the Tennessee hills and so they misunderstand that the condors are people and not a large endangered bird. The professor wants money to help out the condors but Jed doesn't want to help them after finding out that they run around with no clothes on. 
            The professor was played by Wally Cox who was a childhood friend of Marlon Brando in Evanston, Illinois. Brando once tied Cox to a fence and left him there overnight. Years later Cox moved to New York where he studied metal working and became a master craftsman. There he renewed his acquaintance with Brando and they became roommates. But Brando had an annoying pet raccoon and Cox moved out. Brando encouraged Cox to take up acting and so he studied under Brando's mentor, Stella Adler. His first performances were as a stand-up comedian and he became a regular in nightclubs. He appeared on Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts and had a famous skit about a fictional friend named Dufo which he followed by singing "There is a Tavern in the Town" in a high pitched yodel. Both skits were flip sides of a single he recorded. Cox became the star of the sitcom Mister Peepers from 1952 until 1955. He was a regular panelist on Hollywood Squares from 1965 until he died in 1973. All of the other panelists had scripted lines but Cox's sarcastic comments were all his own improvization. He starred in the short-lived sitcom The Adventures of Hiram Holliday. He was the voice of Underdog from 1964 to 1973. He wrote a mystery novel for children entitled "The Tenth Life of Osiris Oakes", and a number of other books as well. He was cremated and Marlon Brando took possession of his ashes, promising Cox's widow that he would scatter them at sea. But he kept them in his home and talked to them. After Brando died his son scattered Brando's and Cox's ashes together over Death Valley and in Tahiti. Brando once said that if Wally Cox had been a woman he would have married him. 




            


            

           
           I haven't seen a bedbug now for six nights.




No comments:

Post a Comment