Friday 17 February 2023

Gavin Gordon


            On Thursday morning I continued to struggle with figuring out line twenty in the song "Fugue" by Boris Vian. I think I'm going to need help from a francophone. 
            I worked out the chords for the intro and the first line of "Je t'aime idiot" (I Love You Stupid) by Serge Gainsbourg. 
            I weighed 85 kilos before breakfast. 
            I sent an email to Cy Strom asking him to help me transcribe the missing line from Fugue. 
            I finished reading the required first two chapters of An Essay Concerning Human Understanding by John Locke. He logically says that if knowledge was inherent then children would know it. I read a handout featuring Rousseau, DeMan and Terada. The second two are riffing on Rousseau's statement that a primitive man would perceive other men as giants. I read the poem "Blessed Babe" by William Wordsworth a couple of times. It's about what babies pick up of consciousness from their mothers. 
            I weighed 84.5 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride to Bloor and Bathurst and on the way home I stopped at Freshco. I bought five bags of red grapes, a pack of raspberries, a pack of blackberries, bananas, Bavarian sandwich bread, naan, and a jar of Basilica pasta sauce, which I use for pizza. I also got three bags of milk but this time I was smart and checked the date. The stuff in front all expired today so I dug back and got one marked March 11. I don't know how they get away with selling milk past its best before date. 
            I weighed 84.2 kilos at 17:30. 
            I got a return email from Cy Strom offering me a couple of possibilities for the missing line of "Fugue". He's living in Edmonton right now. He says the only people that walk the streets in that town are the homeless and him. 
            I was caught up in my journal at 18:52. 
            I read the required section of Rousseau's Discourse on Inequality. He basically gives his idea of how humanity probably evolved from the primitive stage towards having society, property and inequality. I started reading Mary Wollstonecraft's A Vindication of the Rights of Woman
            I had a potato with redeye gravy and two chicken drumsticks while watching season 5, episode 2 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            Granny has entered her soup called "Snider's Surprise" into a soup contest but she has used Elly May's name in hopes that the publicity will land her a husband. "Snider's Surprise" wins the contest but when Jed finds out, he does not approve. He makes Granny call up the company to tell them the truth, but Granny calls Mr. Drysdale and tells him and Jed doesn't know the difference. 
            Granny persuades Jed to go hunting and meanwhile they are visited by Stafford Clark, the head of the soup company and the advertising man Roger Dickerback. Since Elly is under 21 they need Jed to sign the legal papers. Granny tries to get Drysdale to pose as Jed and sign but he is afraid of going to jail for fraud. Instead he forces his secretary Jane to disguise herself in Jed's clothes and put on a false moustache. She signs the papers but then Jed comes home and makes everybody explain what's going on. In the end Granny goes on TV as the winner of the soup contest. She tells the camera that the soup is called Snider's Surprise because it is made out of critters one can find in Snider's Swamp, like alligator. 
            Tennessee is not a natural habitat for alligators, although some have come up the Mississippi in recent years. There are maybe a dozen in the whole state. Since Granny is supposed to be from the hills she certainly wouldn't have seen alligators. 
            Stafford Clark was played by Gavin Gordon, who appeared first on Broadway and then in film mostly in supporting roles. He was once given a co-starring part with Greta Garbo in "Romance" but he lacked charisma for lead parts and was put back into supporting roles again. He was a long time companion of comedic actor Edward Everett Horton. 




            
            I searched for bedbugs and found one on the outer edge of the left side of the frame of the old exit door at the head of my bed, about halfway up. It didn't have fresh blood inside but it looked healthy because it moved quickly. I'm very disappointed because the spores are supposed to be killing these things off.


No comments:

Post a Comment