Thursday 23 February 2023

Paul Reed


            On Wednesday morning I memorized the fourth verse of "Love On the Beat" by Serge Gainsbourg. There are three verses left and so I might have the song in my head during the weekend. 
            I weighed 84.2 kilos before breakfast, which is the lightest I've been in the morning in a week. 
            I got up to page 221 of Frankenstein. Most of Victor's weird family has either been directly or inadvertently killed by his creature as revenge against him for having been a bad parent. He murdered Victor's bride on their wedding night. Because Victor is clueless it didn't occur to him that "I'll see you on your wedding night" meant that Elizabeth was being threatened. He thought only to defend himself. So now Victor is bent on revenge and follows his creature further and further north, not realizing he is being lured to the Arctic where the creature doesn't feel the cold as much. The creature even leaves food for Victor so he will survive to continue following him. Finally Victor dies on Captain Walton's ship and the creature comes to say goodbye. Captain Walton is engaging with the creature in the last few pages. Walton is affected by the creature's ugliness but he is the only one in the novel who doesn't react violently to it. There are five pages left. 
            I put all of the under-the-sink storage items back where they belong. 
            I weighed 84.6 kilos before lunch. I had saltines with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of limeade. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride to Bloor and Bathurst. It was snowing but not enough had accumulated to make my way slippery, except for one moment while crossing Ossington on Queen when I felt my back wheel suddenly slip sideways about a millimeter. 
            I weighed 84.2 kilos at 17:00. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 17:56. 
            I finished reading Frankenstein and then made some handwritten notes towards my presentation, comparing Frankenstein with A Vindication of the Rights of Women and Tarzan of the Apes. The working title of my presentation is "A Vindication of the Rights of Monsters". 
            I made pizza on naan with Basilica sauce and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 5, episode 8 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            Granny is at war with the Beverly Hills Smog Commission. I don't think there was any organization by that name but in the 1940s there was a Smoke and Fumes Commission in Los Angeles. Later that became the United Air Pollution Division. Anyway, in this story there is a Smog Commission and the commissioner is Mr. Tinsley. The dispute is over the fumes that are created by Granny's making of lye soap. Mrs. Drysdale has complained and since she has contributed $500 to Tinsley's re-election campaign, he is making Granny's soap making an issue. Drysdale suggests that Jed run against Tinsley for commissioner, so Jed starts a campaign with the help of the family. The similarities between Jed and Abraham Lincoln are played up and Drysdale even gets Jed to dress like Lincoln. Later when Tinsley finds that Jethro has invented an attachment to reduce air pollution in cars, he says he'll let Granny make soap. But then he finds out that the filter that goes onto the pollution reducing attachment is enormous and it seems to give off even more fumes than a car. 
            Tinsley was played by Paul Reed, who started out as a radio singer. He didn't make it to Broadway until the age of 31 but then appeared in several shows, including "Guys and Dolls", "The Music Man", and "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying". On TV he became a cast member for "Caesar's Hour" and "Sid Caesar Invites You". He is best known for playing Captain Block on "Car 54 Where Are You?" After that he was a regular on "The Cara Williams Show". 
            I searched for bedbugs and found none.

No comments:

Post a Comment