Monday 28 June 2021

Ken Berry


            On Sunday morning when I closed down one document to work on another one Open Office froze and so I had to restart. 
            I worked out the chords to all but the final verse of "Lola Rastaquouère" by Serge Gainsbourg. Since I'm following his voice and not the instruments the chords seem to be slightly different for every verse. 
            I weighed 89.7 kilos before breakfast. 
            In the late morning I worked on cleaning the black off my oven door and was able to scrape all of the main, flat surfaces clean. All that's left are parts that curve up perpendicular to the flat parts and which are vertical when the oven door is fully open. It shouldn't take me long to get the rest off in my next session and then I have to clean all the caked in grease off the oven rack.


            I weighed 89.2 kilos before lunch. I had Ritz crackers with five year old cheddar and a glass of limeade. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride to Yonge and Bloor. All the patios seem to be open now and I don't see any of the customers wearing masks. 
            When I get beside buses I hear the recorded message reminding passengers to keep a safe distance from "the vehicle operator". So there are no longer any bus drivers. I guess I am no longer a cyclist but rather a "bicycle operator"; guitarists are "instrument operators"; singers are "musical voice operators"; and sex trade workers are "genitalia operators." 
            I noticed that there is a fence up at Trinity Bellwoods Park with "No Tresspassing" signs and as I passed I looked and didn't see any tents. When I got home I looked it up and saw that a few days ago there was a scuffle when the cops closed in to move the tent residents out. From what I understand the law states that they can't tear down tents unless they have alternative accomodation for the residents and it seems that shelters and hotels were offered to everyone, with the addition of workers to take them on as clients towards more permanent housing. Of course the cops made the situation heavier than it should have been. 
            I weighed 88.6 kilos after my bike ride. 
            I worked on my poem series "My Blood In A Bug."
            I edited my video project for my song "Instructions for Electroshock Therapy". I cut out tiny bits of the video of the cord being plugged into my "Pipe Dream" sculpture until the concert video and studio recording are synchronized when I begin singing, "Turn the switch, the light is green." The problem is that I don't say "turn" in the concert video, but something more appropriate like "flick". The result is that though it's lined up at "switch, the light is green", my mouth doesn't look like it's forming "turn" and so it looks a bit odd. So I might have to add a brief video of a switch being turned or flicked before lining it up again at "switch." 
            I colourized three of the white damage spots scattered throughout my skateboarder photo. 
            I made pizza on naan with Bolognese sauce, rapini parmigiano sausage and cheddar cheese. I had it with a beer while watching two episodes of Mayberry RFD. 
            In the first story Mike is going through a phase of forgetfulness and has been losing important items, such as two jackets in the last ten days. There is a professional baseball game coming to town and everyone including Mike is looking forward to it. Sam tells Mike that if he loses one more thing he won't be able to see the game. But that very afternoon Mike is in a field playing baseball and when it's his turn at bat he takes his watch off for safe keeping. Later when he and Arnold go to Goober's filling station for pop Mike realizes he doesn't have his watch. Mike, Goober and Arnold go back to the field to look but they can't find the time piece. Mike confesses to his father and accepts his fate. Since this game is such a rare event both Goober and Emmett are mad at Sam for being so strict. Sam feels guilty and goes to see Andy, who tells him a story about a man whose kid kept coming home late and so he told him if it happened again he wouldn't be able to go for his first Scout camping trip. The kid was late again but the father turned the clock back so it only looked like it was almost late. Sam decides to buy another watch and to hide it in the field and then takes Mike to look for it. He finds the watch and so Sam lets him go to the game. Mike takes his baseball glove to the game and inside he finds his original watch. 
            In the second story Sam drives Aunt Bee to Mount Pilot to buy some fabric. He turns a corner and is stopped by a cop who gives him a ticket for not signalling. Both Sam and Bee are sure he signalled but it's only a $5 fine and Sam wants to pay and get it over with. But Bee insists that he take it to court. They bring Goober as an expert witness and he offers testimony that there is nothing wrong with Sam's signal. But the judge accepts the cop's testimony because he is trained to notice these kinds of things. Sam is found guilty and pays the fine. Later however Sam notices something and heads back to Mount Pilot. He somehow gets both the judge and the cop to look at a demonstration. It is exactly the time of day as when Sam was first stopped. Sam turns on his signal for the judge and the cop but they can't see it flash. Sam explains that the sun is washing the light out and proves it by blocking the sun to show his signal is working. The judge tells Sam his $5 will be returned. 
            Sam was played by Ken Berry, who started out as a dancer and continued to entertain in that way in the army. His sergeant was Leonard Nimoy, who advised him to go to Hollywood. He worked for Abbot and Costello as part of their stage act and provided song and dance routines between performances by Andy Griffith and Jerry Van Dyke. He became a frequent guest on The Carol Burnett Show. He played Woody the bellhop on the Ann Southern Show. He played Dr Kapish as comic relief on the drama Dr Kildare. His first sitcom was "F-Troop", after which he starred in "Mayberry RFD". Later he co-starred in "Mama's Family." He was funny on "F-Troop" but he was not a good match to replace Andy Griffith while trying to imitate Griffith's comedy style. It might have worked if his efforts on Mayberry RFD had been more slapstick and physical. With his abilities he should have aimed more for Dick Van Dyke's mode of humour rather than that of Andy Griffith.



No comments:

Post a Comment