Monday 21 June 2021

Teri Garr


            On Sunday morning my left shoulder still hurt, but it's the same problem I had years ago and I still do the physiotherapy exercises, so chances are it will go away eventually. 
            I memorized the first short dialogue part of "Le java des chaussettes à clous" (The Dance of the Studded Stockings) by Boris Vian. There are always two verses followed by a chorus and then a dialogue in which a police sergeant addresses a beat cop to make sure he's dancing on the heads of punks properly. 
            I worked out the chords to the first verse of "Brigade des stups" (The Drug Squad) by Serge Gainsbourg. 
            I weighed 89.4 kilos before breakfast. 
            In the late morning I tackled cleaning my oven again and this time got off almost all of the black parts. There's not much more to do but I'll probably work on it again. Plus, now the oven is so much cleaner than the oven door that I feel I have to return to get the black off of that. 


            I weighed 88.9 kilos before lunch. I had saltines and five year old cheddar with a glass of lemonade. 
            I took a bike ride to Yonge and Bloor. Going down Yonge Street a passenger in one of those fancy cars with the doors that flip up, had the door open and was stretching his legs as they were driving. I weighed 88.5 kilos when I got home. 
            I worked on my poem series "My Blood In A Bug." 
            I worked on my project of making a video for my song "Instructions For Electroshock Therapy." I cut some more of the section where a hand comes to harvest one of the dancing cords and also where it pulls it towards the camera. I also removed the first second or so before the cord is plugged into my Pipe Dream sculpture. There's more to delete from that part because I plug the cord in a few times and I have to choose the best clip to keep. 
            I colourized a few more bricks in my skateboarder photo. I have twenty seven to go. 
            I grilled four rapini parmigiano sausages in the oven and had one wrapped in naan with mustard and salsa with a beer while watching two episodes of Andy Griffith. 
            The first story falls back on one of the many TV tropes that have been used in this final season. This time it was the one where the spouse is trying to do something special for their partner with the assistance of a younger attractive person. The partner happens to see them together and thinks the worst. Emmett and Martha's 25th anniversary is approaching and he gets Mrs. Pendleton to find out what she wants for a present. It turns out that she's been dreaming of a mink coat. Emmett is sitting in the diner with Andy and Goober and is telling them that a mink is out of his financial range. Flora the waitress says she knows someone in Mount Pilot who can give Emmett 40% off on a mink and so he arranges to go with Flora. But he has to make an excuse for going out and tells Martha he's going bowling with Andy. With nothing to do Martha calls Mrs. Pendleton to ask if she wants to go to a movie. Mrs Pendleton has been staying at Andy's place because Bee is out of town and she's been asked to take care of him and Opie. When Martha comes to pick Mrs. Pendleton up she finds Andy there and asks why he's not bowling. Realizing that Emmett has gone for the mink Andy says he's got a cold. But after the movie Martha and Mrs. Pendleton see Emmett and Flora together and she thinks he's cheating on her. Because Martha is so upset Andy has to tell Martha the truth. Suddenly she's very happy knowing she'll be getting a mink. But meanwhile in Mount Pilot Emmett decides he can't afford a mink after all and buys Martha a bathrobe. When he brings the package to Andy's Martha thinks it's a mink and she can't wait to open it. Suddenly though she thinks she's being selfish and tells Emmett to take it back. Thinking he's off the hook he lays it on a little too thick that he really wanted her to have the mink and then she changes her mind and wants to keep it. He persuades her to wait until tomorrow and rushes off to Mount Pilot to buy the mink. 
            In the second story Howard's mother gets married and moves to Mount Pilot with George, her new husband. This leaves Howard alone in the house and he decides to turn the place into a bachelor pad with pillows on the floor, bright colours, bead curtains and a bear skin rug. He throws a party and invites Andy and Goober. He expects Andy to bring Helen and for Goober to get a date. But niether Howard nor Goober are able to find any women to come and so they are alone while Andy shows up with Helen as the only female at the party. Howard and Goober take turns dancing with Helen and wear her out. She and Andy make excuses to leave early when Emmett shows up and doesn't want Helen to leave until he's danced with her. The only reason for Emmett to be there seems to be so viewers can see what a great dancer Paul Hartman is. He really does cut a rug. 
            When Goober is trying to get a date he happens to ask a customer at his gas station in a red convertible. She just turns and looks at him and he walks away, I guess because she's out of his league. The young woman is a twenty year old Teri Garr. This was 1968 and one of the many non speaking parts she'd had until she made "Head" that year. She trained as a dancer and danced in several Elvis movies. She co-starred in "Oh God", "Young Frankenstein", "Mr Mom" and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". She made regular appearances on David Letterman. She was nominated for an Oscar for her role in "Tootsie". 



            
           This episode and a few more were written by Joseph Bonaduce, the abusive father of Danny Bonaduce of The Partridge Family.


No comments:

Post a Comment