Wednesday 2 June 2021

Om Sweet Om


            On Tuesday I finished working out the chords for all the verses of "O Canada" and started coming up with an intro. There probably should be a short instrumental between each of the verses as well. 
            I weighed 90.2 kilos before breakfast. 
            In the late morning I finally tackled making the stencil on my door. After gluing the back I had a bit of trouble fitting the "3" part of the om symbol in place over the "3" on my door. Most of the edges went down flat against the door but I had to add some more glue to one section. I put a plastic cover on the floor in front of the door. I taped a couple of large cut-up paper bags around the stencil so the paint wouldn't get anywhere else. I stood back about two thirds of a metre and painted side to side from top to bottom and back up, repeating that until the stencil was black. When I peeled off the stencil there was one part of the paper that stayed stuck and so I had to get hold of it with the blade of a scissor. In general the result looked pretty good but in places it wasn't as neat as I'd planned because there had been some bleeding under the stencil despite it seeming to have been glued down. I used alcohol soaked q-tips, a wet cloth and paper towels to try to clean up some faint clouds of paint that got outside the image. Somehow I'd also gotten paint on the floor and the bottoms of my feet and so I had to wipe that up as best as I could. My neighbour Shankar came out of his room and he was impressed with the om symbol on my door. He thought it looked pretty good. I might take a small paint brush and create an outline around the image with some violet coloured acrylic paint that I have. That might cover up the areas where the black paint bled. 
            I had potato chips, salsa, yogourt and a glass of orange juice for lunch. 
            In the afternoon I wanted to take a bike ride, but first I needed to pay for my June phone plan. I went to my local Freedom Mobile store but the guy said his computer is still down. He directed me to the Freedom store at King and Dufferin. The customer service guy I'd spoken to on the phone mentioned that store as well but when I rode along King from Jameson past Dufferin to the railroad bridge I couldn't see their store. I rode back home and looked at the address I'd gotten from the customer service rep. He'd said it was at 1221 King West but I thought it was strange that he'd given me a 905 number for a Toronto store. I rode down to look for that address and found that between 1209 and 1231 King West there's a construction site. I went back to Freedom in Parkdale but there was a line-up and so I just rode downtown to Queen and Spadina to pay for my plan at the Freedom store there. It was weird because the store was locked. A guy opened it and told me I'd have to pay by debit. It was also weird to be the only customer when there were three guys working there. After paying for my plan I mentioned the store at King and Dufferin but the guy said there's no store like that on his computer. When I got home I'd ridden pretty much the equivalent distance of my usual bike ride. 
            I weighed 89.9 kilos at 18:30. 
            I worked on my poem series "My Blood in a Bug." 
            I got rid of videos 8-14 of the cords I animated and inserted video 15 into the main video for my song "Instructions for Electroshock Therapy." Then I cut a considerable amount off the end of video 15 to try to make it fit better with the musical changes. I might cut some more and then add another video or more in conjunction with the rhythm. 
            I had a potato with gravy and three or four pork ribs while watching two episodes of The Andy Griffith Show. 
            In the first story Bee is going to visit her sister for two days and Opie is going on an overnight boy scout camping trip. Andy is looking forward to being alone but on her way out of town Bee stops at the filling station and asks Goober to check in on Andy so he won't be lonely. Much to Andy's disappointment Goober shows up at Andy's door with a suitcase and moves in, but Andy is too polite to tell him he wants to be alone. Andy goes to work and while he's gone there are two phone calls but Goober forgets what the messages are. That night he cooks spaghetti with his special sauce with the secret ingredient of oregano. Andy enjoys the meal and is about to sit down and relax when Goober suddenly remembers the phone calls. He says Helen called about a young people's meeting and Howard called to invite Andy to dinner. Andy feels he has no choice but to do the polite thing and to go over to Howard's for a second dinner. Howard and his mother have just finished eating and are surprised to see Andy since they didn't invite him. But they act like they did invite him and eat a second dinner of their leftover spaghetti with him, made with her special sauce with the secret ingredient of oregano. When the overstuffed Andy gets home there is an angry call wondering where he is since through Goober she'd invited Andy for dinner with her and her uncle. He goes over there for a third dinner and is served spaghetti again with Helen's uncle's special sauce with the secret ingredient of oregano. When Aunt Bee returns the first meal she makes is spaghetti.
            In the second story Andy comes to Raleigh to visit his former deputy Barney. He works for the Raleigh Police Department and Andy learns that Barney is now a detective but he finds him painting the captain's office. Barney also has to run errands for the other detectives such as getting them coffee. Andy hears from Barney about a string of supermarket robberies that the cops have yet to crack. The crooks seem to have inside information of police strategies because they always hit a part of town that the cops are not staking out. Barney takes Andy back to his boarding house that is run by Ma Parker, her two sons and her attractive daughter, who is very flirtatious with Barney. At lunch the family are quite interested in hearing any details Barney can share about the robberies and what the cops are planning. Andy tells Barney he shouldn't sharing confidential information but Barney insists the Parkers are like family. Barney tells Andy he's made an appointment for him with the captain because there is a job opening that he wants him to consider. But Andy learns from the captain that the job that will soon be opening up is Barney's because they are going to fire him. Later at the boarding house Andy plants some information with the Parkers. He tells them the captain told him that it was a good thing the thieves hit the supermarket last night since tonight there will be a lot more money. They aren't staking out that market because the gang never hits the same place twice. Later Andy gets Barney to get the master key for that supermarket so they can go in and look around. While they are there they hear someone breaking into the cash register. Andy tells Barney to get his gun ready while he turns on the lights. Barney catches the Parkers red handed and suddenly the supermarket caper is cracked. Andy has saved Barney's job because now he's treated differently and he gets a new desk.
            Miss Clark the secretary at the police department was played by Luana Anders, who started out as a bike messenger at MGM studios along with Jack Nicholson. She got Jack to join her improv class and some of their classmates were Sally Kellerman and Richard Chamberlain. Her first films were B movies like Reform School Girl. When she was acting in Roger Corman’s The Young Racers in 1963 the soundman asked her to star in his first direction effort. The movie was Dementia 13 and the director was Francis Ford Coppola. She was the skinny dipping hippy girl Lisa in Easy Rider. She died in 1996 but Jack Nicholson mentioned her in his Oscar acceptance speech for As Good As It Gets in 1998. 





            



           Ma Parker was played by Betty Kean, who co-starred with Eddy Albert and Ed Begley in the short lived sitcom "Leave It To Larry." She was married to Jim Backus from 1939 to 1942. In the 50s she was part of the comedy duo The Kean Sisters, who appeared on Broadway in the musical Ankles Aweigh. . 
            Agnes Parker was played by Margaret Teele, who retired from acting to raise her family. She's the mother of songwriter Jenna Drey.





No comments:

Post a Comment