Friday 4 June 2021

Keye Luke


            On Thursday morning I finished my translation of the original "O Canada" and uploaded it to Christian's Translations. I should have it published on my blog on Friday. 
            The Rocker electric guitar that I've been playing stays in tune incredibly well. After the last few months of playing three acoustics that didn't stay in tune I was beginning to gaslight myself and wonder if their out of tuneness was all in my head. Now I feel vindicated. Based on what people say of The Rocker online it seems to be a cheap Stratocaster knockoff. 
            I weighed 89.5 kilos before breakfast. 
            In the late morning I took a bike ride. On Brock Avenue between College and Bloor there is a canoe that's been turned into a planter on the grass in front of a schoolyard fence. It's actually a ghost canoe in memory of some voyageurs who got hit by a truck while paddling across Brock in a rainstorm.
            Along the Bloor bike lane, I'd just passed a chunky guy who was riding fairly fast when a car blocked our way as it was turning onto Bloor. While I moved on the other cyclist started giving the driver hell and telling him he's not supposed to block the bike lane. Obviously drivers are not supposed park and block the lane but I doubt if it's really a rule that one is not supposed to block it while turning.
            I rode to Yonge and Bloor and west along Queen, threading all the narrow construction squeezings. I stopped at Freshco on the way home where I bought seven bags of cherries, a pint of strawberries, a half pint of raspberries, two tomatoes, two cans of peaches, skyr and salted butter. 
            I weighed 88 kilos before a lunch of kettle chips, salsa, yogourt and a glass of lemonade. 
            I worked on my poem series "My Blood in a Bug." 
            I weighed 88.7 kilos at 18:00. 
            I worked on my project of making a music video for my song "Instructions for Electroshock Therapy." I had previously inserted, just after my initial brief appearance in the concert segment, video 15 of the electrical cords I'd animated. I wanted to make the part with the cords choppier and more nervous leading up to my vocal, and so I cut out split second intervals. That seemed to work okay but it was too short to fill up the slow part of the guitar intro and so I inserted video 16 to do the same kind of editing. But after that Movie Maker started freezing. I closed it down three times in the Task manager and restarted it but it seemed to have done all the work it wanted to for today. All that I was able to save were the edits to video 15 and the insertion of video 16. I probably could have gotten more done if I'd restarted my computer but 45 minutes seemed like enough time for today and I think I made some progress. 
            I colourized some more of the second brick wall in my skateboarder photo. 
            I edited a photo of my ex-girlfriend and another of me in costume at a Halloween party in 1987.
            I had a potato with gravy and a few pork ribs for dinner while watching Andy Griffith. 
            In the first story a spare rib place has closed down in Mayberry. Bee learns that Charlie the chef plans on cooking at a Chinese place in Mount Pilot. She asks why he doesn't open a Chinese place in Mayberry and says that he would need a backer. Bee finds a penny on the floor and Charlie tells her it's lucky. She decides the penny is a sign to invest in a Chinese restaurant. A psychology student named Jack is hired to be the waiter. The opening night is a big success but when Bee sits down with Andy and their friends she opens a fortune cookie that tells her to beware of new business ventures. Charlie and Jack try to tell her it's all superstitious bullshit but now she is chronically nervous. Jack advises her that she is not cut out for business and she starts looking for a buyer. Finally Jack decides to put in the money to buy her out. Andy learns later that Jack made the decision based on a fortune cookie. 
            Charlie was played by Keye Luke, who entered the film business as a commercial artist and a designer of movie posters. his film acting debut was in The Painted Veil. He played Charlie Chan's number one son, Lee Chan in the Charlie Chan films. He was the original Kato in the Green Hornet film serials. He was the original Master Wang on Broadway in The Flower Drum Song. He played Dr Kildare's rival on the popular TV series of that name and later Master Po on Kung Fu. In the 1930s he was considered one of the best dressed men in Hollywood. 
            



            In the second story we learn that Floyd is not the actual owner of the space out of which he runs his barber shop even though he's been there for 28 years. But now suddenly the owners, who live in California, have decided to sell. Howard Sprague decides to buy the property and Floyd is relieved that he wants Floyd to continue running his shop out of the space. In order to make the 5% he is entitled to Howard is forced to raise Floyd's rent by $15. Floyd is outraged and gives notice. He says he'll open a shop in Mount Pilot. Howard puts the place up for rent and a businessmanwith a chain of barbershops is interested enough to offer $25 more than Floyd was paying, but he would put a stop to the tradition of people hanging out to talk and play checkers. Meanwhile with Floyd's shop closed everyone starts hanging out at the courthouse to play checkers and Andy can't get any work done. Finally Andy tricks Floyd and Howard to come to the courthouse and asks them to shake hands. Then Andy pretends that it's for the best that Floyd's place won't be there anymore. Floyd and Howard begin to argue with Andy and finally Howard says he'll go down $7.50 on the rent, which Floyd happily agrees to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment