Saturday 22 October 2022

Brian Kelly


            On Friday morning I worked out the chords for the eighth verse of "Sans blague" (No Joke) by Boris Vian. 
            I worked out the chords for the intro and the first two verses of "Trompe d’érection" (Missed Erection) by Serge Gainsbourg.
            I weighed 84.7 kilos before breakfast. 
            I worked for about an hour on my essay but as usual for trying to do mental work around midday, I dozed off a lot and had to keep splashing cold water on my face. 
            I weighed 84.9 kilos before lunch, which is the heaviest I've been at that time in eleven days. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 84.4 kilos at 17:00. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 17:50. 
            I worked on my essay for about two hours and made some progress. I've almost got the required word count and more importantly I've got a thesis: 

            The vernacular of Chiac allows into its vocabulary many elements of the dominant English language but then takes control of those words by transforming them structurally and contextually into locutions that are unique to Chiac. 

            I have until Saturday at midnight to finish my paper and hand it in. 
            I had a potato with gravy and a piece of roast pork while watching episode 21 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            In this story Granny is still in conflict with Pearl over her yodeling. Every time she hears it she lets Elly May's dogs into the house to force Pearl on top of the piano. Jed finds out that Granny is behind it and makes her stop letting the dogs in. So then Granny decides to follow Mrs. Drysdale's example and phone the police on Pearl. The same two officers come as last time and this time they have names. The yodeling cop played by Eddie Dean is called Sergeant Dean and he's become good friends with and a student of Pearl. But when Granny thinks he's going to arrest Pearl she is overcome with remorse. Even after she finds that Pearl is in no danger she offers herself as a slave to Pearl. 
            Meanwhile, officer Kelly goes around to the pool to check on Elly, because he's overwhelmed by her beauty. Kelly finds Elly minding Granny's still but he doesn't know it's a still. He just sees the open fire and tells Elly that's against the law in Beverly Hills. When the cops are about to leave, Kelly describes the copper apparatus that he thinks the Clampetts use to heat their swimming pool. Dean however recognizes that Kelly is describing a still. 
            When Granny thinks that somebody told the police about her still, she thinks it was Pearl and she hits her over the head with a skillet. Granny says, "You know the code of the hills. What's the most traitorous thing a person can do to his neighbour?" Both Elly and Jethro say, "Tell the revenuers he's got a still!" 
            When Dean and Kelly come into the kitchen Jed confesses that it's his still, but then Elly says it's hers, Jethro says it's his, and Pearl says it's hers. Finally Granny admits she's behind it. Dean says nobody will be arrested as long as they don't make any more rheumatiz medicine. Granny says she's got enough for the winter but Kelly says they dumped it all in the pool. The last scene shows Elly's pet duck Charlie emerging drunk from the pool. 
             Officer Kelly was played by Brian Kelly, whose father was a Michigan Supreme Court justice and had also served as the governor of Michigan for four years. Kelly went to college with the intention of becoming a lawyer like his father but after getting work as a model he branched off into radio and TV commercials. He went out to Hollywood and got supporting roles on various TV series. He was in the cast of two shows that didn't make it: "21 Beacon Street" and "Straightaway". He co-starred for the three-year run of the popular series "Flipper". This led to a starring role in the movie, "Around the World Under the Sea". In 1970 he was in a severe motorcycle accident that paralyzed two of his limbs and killed his acting career. But he went on to success in behind the scenes work when he became the executive producer of "Blade Runner". Philip K. Dick didn't like the screenplay that was adapted from his short story but Kelly convinced him to let them go ahead with it. 


            I worked a bit more on my essay and came up with a tentative second title. But again I found myself dozing off before it was time to get ready for bed. 
            I looked for bedbugs and didn't find any.

No comments:

Post a Comment