Saturday 29 October 2022

John Stephenson


            On Friday morning I finished working out the chords for "Sans blague" (No Joke) by Boris Vian. Tomorrow I'll run through the whole song in French and English to make sure everything fits. 
            I memorized the chorus of "Fuir le bonheur de peur qu'il ne se sauve" (I Flee Pleasure for Fear of its Removal) by Serge Gainsbourg. 
            I weighed 85.3 kilos before breakfast. 
            In the late morning I took my laundry to the laundromat. I put my things in the washer at the back as usual but as soon as I closed the door, before I put the quarters in, it started on the rinse cycle. The attendant came back and said the machine might be broken. We waited to see if it would finish the cycle but after the final rinse it just started the first rinse again. The guy put my clothes in the other machine and paid for the wash. My clothes were dry and home at about 12:30. 
            I finished reading Julian of Norwich and started on her Norwich contemporary Margery Kemp. Margery had led a less secluded life, had fourteen kids and only became a total religious nut later in life. She seems like she might be schizophrenic. She couldn't read or write but after twenty years of devotion she dictated her autobiography to some others. 
            I weighed 84.6 kilos before lunch.
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 84.5 kilos at 17:20. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:23. 
            I finished reading the excerpts from The Book of Margery Kempe that are in the Broadview Anthology. She reminds me of a lot of mentally ill people I've known over my life. She was probably psychotic and schizophrenic. But religious life in Medieval times allowed for a lot of strange and erratic behaviour if one could follow it without being accused of being a heretic, which some considered her to be. 
            I was assigned two essays to review on Peer Scholar and I read the first one. I want to read it twice before I make any comments but this one has an incredible amount of spelling and grammatical errors that suggest that the paper was not proof-read even once. I'll try to think of a gentle way to point out the flaws. 
            I had a potato with gravy and a pork chop while watching episode 28 of The Beverly Hillbillies.
            This story consisted mostly of flashbacks to mostly the very first episode. The story begins with Mr. Landman, an agent for the Internal Revenue Service, coming to talk with Jed Clampett. But Granny confronts him with a shotgun because she thinks he is the type of revenuer that investigates moonshiners like herself. She fires her gun and he leaves, going to the Commerce Bank to talk to Mr. Drysdale. Landman doesn't understand why Jed Clampett had an income of millions this year and not a penny for the years before. Drysdale explains the incredible story of how Clampett had been dirt poor up until a few months ago, and that's where all the flashbacks come in, leading to the Clampetts moving to Beverly Hills. After their talk, Drysdale takes Landman back to the Clampett mansion. At first Granny tries to attack again but Jed takes her gun away and invites them in for dinner. Jed tells Landman that back in the hills a taxman would be a lot younger than him because he wouldn't have lived to get that old. 
            Landman was played by John Stephenson, who was an oratory forensics competitor in drama in high school and came second place in the national forensics competition. He earned a master's degree in Speech and Drama and after college he worked in radio and then became an announcer in the early days of television. He announced the commercials on "I Love Lucy". He was the voice of Mr. Slate on "The Flintstones", Fancy Fancy on "Top Cat", and Mr. Peevly on the cartoon series "Help it's the Hair Bear Bunch". 
            I searched for bedbugs and found none.

No comments:

Post a Comment