Monday 10 October 2022

Louis Nye


            On Sunday morning I finished memorizing "Je croise aux Hébrides" (I Cruise the Hebrides) by Serge Gainsbourg. I searched for the chords but no one had posted them and so I worked them out for the intro and the first verse. 
            A few people were out gleaning the Dollarama parking lot for cigarette butts. 
            I weighed 84.8 kilos before breakfast. 
            I continued to do research for my English in the World essay on Chiac. 
            I weighed 85.2 kilos before lunch. That's the most I've weighed at that time in a week. I had saltines with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of lemonade. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown. On the way back, in the final ten minutes of my ride, a bug flew into my eye and I was blinking violently for the rest of the way home. When I got home I was able to pull it out easily because I'd blinked it to the right corner. 
            I weighed 84.6 kilos at 17:15. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:10. I continued to do research on Chiac. It's interesting that Chiac speakers would tend to use French words in reference to family and internal culture but English words for the external culture as well as swearing and drug references. They would call their mother their "mere" but they might call someone else a "motherfucker". 
            I made pizza on naan with Basilica sauce and five-year-old cheddar and had it with a beer while watching episode nine of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            In this story Jed has arranged for Elly May to have a date with Mr. Drysdale's stepson Sonny. Sonny is thirty-five years old and has been in college for seventeen years. In this way he is similar to Jethro who has been in the first five years of grade school for about ten years. Like his mother and apparently his late father, Sonny is a blue blood. They descend from the first settlers who came over on the Mayflower. Marrying the wealthy Milburn Drysdale was a social step down for Sonny's mother and Sonny claims to hate money, although he enjoys everything it buys such as his expensive sports car.
            When Elly asks Granny if she's ever been courted and sparked Granny tells her that they named the Smoky Mountains after her. 
            At first, Sonny refuses to date Elly May until he catches sight of her in a bathing suit through his binoculars. Sonny shows up in his sports car and parks behind the Clampetts' old truck. He asks Jethro to get that weird looking vehicle out of sight and so Jethro moves the sports car into the bushes. 
            Sonny brings Elly a gift wrapped present that she thinks is candy but it's a picture of him. When Sonny tries to kiss Elly's hand she thinks he's trying to bite her and flips him. He runs out of the house and when he sees his car gone he starts hitting Jethro, but hurts his hand and runs home. 
            Later all the Clampetts go over to the Drysdale house to apologize and they invite the Drysdales for Thanksgiving dinner. 
            Thanksgiving dinner takes place in what is supposed to be the pool room of Jed's mansion but the Clampetts think it's the dining room. They think the pool table is a fancy eating table and that the pool cues are pot passers. Jed has sharpened some of the cues to use as meat stabbers. 
            Sonny was played by Louis Nye, who started out in a troupe called The Hartford Players in Connecticut. He moved to New York and began to work in radio where he tended to play dramatic roles. He joined the army as a soldier but it was determined that he had more value as an entertainer of the troops in Special Services. That is where he first met Carl Reiner. After the war he went back to acting and eventually landed a job on the Steve Allen Plymouth Show and became a star with his character Gordon Hathaway and his catchphrase "Hi ho Steverino!" He tended to be typecast on TV and in movies as a comically snooty rich boy. He played Jeff Garlin's father on Curb Your Enthusiasm before he died in 2005. 




            I searched for bedbugs and found none for the third night in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment