Monday 31 October 2022

Perry Botkin Sr.


            On Sunday morning I sang and played "Sans blague" (No Joke) by Boris Vian in English and made a few adjustments to my translation. 
            I finished memorizing "Fuir le bonheur de peur qu'il ne se sauve" (I Flee Pleasure for Fear of its Removal) by Serge Gainsbourg and searched for the chords. The same set is posted on several sites. I check again tomorrow and maybe also look for the chords for the Bach piece the melody is lifted from.
            I weighed 85.2 kilos before breakfast. 
            I re-read the second peer's essay that I'm supposed to review. I wrote one comment but I got sleepy and goofed off until lunch. 
            I weighed 85.6 kilos before lunch. That's the most I've weighed at that time in four weeks. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back.
            I weighed 85.2 kilos at 17:10, which is the heaviest I've been at that time in 26 days. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 17:41. 
            I completed my peer review assignment at around 19:45. I had hoped on working on my Medieval Literature essay this weekend but the peer review ate up all my time. It's frustrating because it only contributes to the 10% Participation mark, which I've probably already earned anyway, and yet all these participation activities are so time consuming. I had time for a few minutes of research towards my essay on Grendel as a class revolutionary in Beowulf. 
            I made pizza on a slice of Bavarian sandwich bread with Bolognese sauce and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching episode 30 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            Jed's bloodhound Duke is down in the dumps again and he seems to have lost his sense of smell. Elly suggests that he's pining for the French poodle Colette. Then Jethro brings Jed a letter from Mademoiselle Denise in Paris. It's written in French and so Jed takes it to Jane Hathaway for her to translate. It says she is coming because her dog is having puppies and she is looking forward to seeing Jed as well. Jed asks Jane to teach him French and when she says she can give him a one-hour lesson at noon, he thinks he'll be fluent when they are done. While Jed is downtown Denise arrives at the Clampett mansion. She's been practicing her English but is limited to just saying, "How do you do?" Jed comes back and they are happy to see each other even if they can't understand each other. Jane gives him his lesson and he learns to say, "Bon jour, mon ami". He says it to Denise after she's been spending time with Elly, and Denise responds, "Howdy you furry little varmint". 
            Meanwhile Mrs. Drysdale is excited because Colette has just given birth to quintuplets and she sees herself as a grandmother because she believes her dog Claude is the sire. But she finally has a look at the pups only to discover that they look more like bloodhound puppies than poodle pups. Mildred asks, "How are we going to break this to Claude? He's already in analysis!" Mildred angrily brings Colette and the pups to Denise, saying that Colette is a hussy for mating with that mongrel. Jane points out that bloodhounds are not mongrels and have a much more ancient lineage than poodles. 
            Jed gets Jane to ask Denise to go to dinner with him. Jane thinks she should come along to interpret and invites Jethro for a double date, but Jed and Denise go on a double date with Duke and Collette instead. 
            The music for the first two seasons of The Beverly Hillbillies was composed and sometimes performed by Perry Botkin. He was a music supervisor for Bing Crosby. He played guitar in several orchestras and big bands and also solo in films and television. He played guitar on Hoagy Carmichael's "Hong Kong Blues." He recorded with Al Jolson, Eddie Cantor, and Spike Jones, among many others. 


            I searched for bedbugs and found one on the left side of the frame of the old exit door at the head of my bed. It fell when I poked at it and I found it on the floor along with another that may not have been alive. Both were dark and unhealthy looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment