Tuesday 11 October 2022

Nancy Kulp


            On Monday morning I finished working out the chords to "Je croise aux Hébrides" (I Cruise the Hebrides) by Serge Gainsbourg. I'll run through the song in French and English tomorrow and probably upload it to Christian's Translations. 
            I weighed 85.6 kilos before breakfast, which is the heaviest I've been in the morning for three weeks. 
            I continued to do research for my English in the World essay. 
            I weighed 85.2 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 84.8 kilos at 17:00. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 17:30. 
            I worked for more than two hours on research for my essay. 
            I soaked the six quails in brine for two hours and then coated them in butter, salt, and pepper. I roasted them in the oven and had one with a potato and gravy and a beer while watching episode ten of The Beverly Hillbillies. The quail was nothing special. I still prefer chicken. 
            Sonny Drysdale has decided to be the Pygmalion to Elly May's Galatea. He wants to transform the wild girl into a sophisticated lady. They are by the pool when he tells her he is on fire and only she can put out the flame, so she pushes him in. He goes home and his mother wants to call the police on Elly May but he stops her. 
            Jed tells Granny he's not sure Sonny is right for Elly May, but Granny reminds Jed that Elly is 17 and if she doesn't get married by the time she's 18 she'll be an old maid. 
            Jethro says that Sonny is so honest that he has to hire someone to do his lying for him. He heard him tell Elly he was coming over and he was going to bring his lyre. 
            Granny mixes up a love charm and puts it in a bag for Elly. She tells her to recite the spell, "Darling, darling my true love, come swooping like a dove." Suddenly Sonny comes in through the back door. Elly takes him into the parlour and he tries to teach her elocution by reciting, "How now brown cow." When Jed overhears this he tells Jethro to fetch Granny because she's made too strong a charm. 
            Meanwhile Granny gives Jane some of the charm and she repeats the spell. Suddenly Jethro comes in and Jane grabs hold of him. Granny gets her letting go powder and recites, "Secret powder, light as snow, make the charm of love let go", then she blows it into Sonny's and then Jane's face. 
            Later Granny gives Jed a charm and convinces him to recite the spell by telling him that Miss Potts asks Jethro about him all the time when he's at school. Jed recites the spell and then suddenly Mrs. Drysdale comes running up asking for her darling, but she's really talking about her son. After she gets some powder blown in her face, Sonny comes out in his bare feet with his shirt open and his pants rolled up saying, "Howdy ma, was you a hollerin?" 
            Jane Hathaway was played by Nancy Kulp, who went to Hollywood with no acting ambitions but instead to work in publicity for the movies. But the director George Cukor convinced her that she should be on the screen and gave her a small part in "The Model and the Marriage Broker". She played bird watcher Pamela Livingstone on "The Bob Cummings Show". After the Beverly Hillbillies, she acted on Broadway. In 1984 she ran for congress but Buddy Ebsen ran a radio ad supporting her opponent and saying she was too liberal. At the age of 67 she implied that she was a lesbian without overtly saying so when she said that she was the "birds of a feather" type rather than the "opposites attract" type. She retired to a farm in Connecticut and later to Palm Springs before dying in 1991. 



            I searched for bedbugs and for the fourth night in a row I didn't find any.

No comments:

Post a Comment