Thursday 20 April 2023

Amanda Plummer


            On Wednesday morning I worked out the chords for the fourth verse of "De velours et de soie" (The Silk and the Velvet) by Boris Vian. 
            I blog-published "Lemon in Zest", my translation of "Lemon incest" by Serge Gainsbourg. Tomorrow I'll post it on Facebook. 
            I weighed 84.2 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I rode up to Long and McQuade to check out their guitars. There were a few for $3000, which is above my price range, while most were below my price range, which is $1000. A lot of the guitars I tried had built-in pick-ups. There was a black Takamine for $741 that didn't have a bad sound. But I don't know if it really sounded any better than my $500 Washburn. The pickup probably adds quite a bit to the price and so it really might be only a $500 guitar as well. I'll check out Steve's tomorrow. I got home in time for lunch. 
            I weighed 84.4 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride to Yonge and Bloor. 
            I weighed 84.2 kilos at 17:00. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:15. 
            I worked on synchronizing the video recording and the microphone recording of my July 7, 2022 song practice in Movie Maker. I got them close enough so I can focus on the fine tuning tomorrow. 
            I wanted go directly to my Instructions for Electroshock Therapy project in Movie Maker but the program was frozen because it seemed overloaded and so I had to shut it down. I tried to go back to it but a message said it was open elsewhere so I had to restart my computer. I edited the video of the ice floe sequence from the silent film Way Down East starring Lillian Gish. I kept the parts with Lilian unconscious on the ice floe and cut out several parts that show her rescuer trying to get to her. But with about three and a half minutes left the program got glitchy again and I had to shut it down. I was able to save most of what I'd done before it started misbehaving. It was time for dinner so I gave up until tomorrow. 
            I made pizza on naan with Basilica sauce, bacon, and seven-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 3, episode 3 of Star Trek Picard. 
            Captain Vadic the bounty hunter in her war ship The Shrike is pursuing the Titan deep into the nebula. Picard confronts Beverly Crusher about the fact that she never told him they have a son together. Picard hasn't seen her since their child was conceived. The main reason seems to be that having Jean Luc Picard for a father would have made him a target. The Shrike finds them and attacks. Captain Shaw is injured and just before being taken to sick bay transfers command to William Riker. Riker orders a photon torpedo halfway between the Titan and the Shrike and then has phasers fired at the torpedo. The concussion knocks the Shrike away for a while. Riker wants to hide and Picard wants to fight. They argue but Riker is in command. It's determined that they are not inside of a nebula but an organic anomaly so they have to avoid going deeper. They reach the edge and prepare to go to warp but the Shrike comes up behind. Vadic fires a weapon in front of the Titan that opens a portal they enter and wind up deeper inside the nebula. They try to leave again but the same thing happens. Jack goes to see Seven who is confined to her quarters. He tells her that the Shrike is always finding them because they are leaving some kind of trail. Seven thinks it would have to be verterium gas which insulates the warp coils. Jack knocks out the guard and they go to investigate. Seven finds there is a verterium leak and that it's sabotage. Seven fixes the leak but goes to check another location leaving Jack behind. Jack is attacked by someone in a Starfleet uniform who knocks his mask off, exposing him to the poison. Jack hits him and his face temporarily changes shape. The saboteur is a Changeling. Seven finds jack in time to get him to sick bay. His heart stops but Beverly shocks it several times until he comes back. The saboteur plants a bomb that takes out their ability to go to warp. Picard convinces Riker their only option is to fight. They come up behind the Shrike and fire but the Shrike has a portal shield that takes in the torpedo fire, then opens up a portal behind the Titan through which the torpedoes come to disable the Titan entirely. They are tumbling into the gravity well of the anomaly. 
            Meanwhile in the parallel story, Raffi wakes up in Worf's quarters but doesn't know it's him. She comes up behind him with a phaser while he's practicing his martial arts. he easily disarms her and then gives her back her weapon as he introduces himself. Worf is a legend and she is in awe. They go together to find a guy named Titus who has something to do with the portal weapon. They find him on M'talas. He seems to be a junkie but he turns out to be a changeling and only has the shakes because he's been too long in solid form. He turns to liquid and tries to flow away but Worf kills him. Worf and Raffi figure out that the portal weapon was a distraction for the theft of an even more powerful weapon. They have to go to Daystrom Station to investigate further. 
            Vadic is played by the great Amanda Plummer, who I first saw when she gave her amazing performance in The Fisher King. She's the daughter of Canadian legend Christopher Plummer and US actor Tammy Grimes. She co-starred in Cattle Annie and Little Britches. She played Honey Bunny in Pulp Fiction. She co-starred in Butterfly Kiss, American Perfekt, and Pax. She's been nominated for three Tony Awards and won one, and four Emmy awards and won three. At the age of 14 she passed an audition to become a jockey. She's the great-great granddaughter of Canadian Prime Minister John Joseph Caldwell Abbott. She says producers don't like her because there's no commercial value in her face but directors generally do. 




            


            
            It's been 47 days since I've found a bedbug, although I did wake up during the night thinking that I could smell them. But when I got up to pee there was a strong smell of rancid fat rising through my floor from Popeyes downstairs. Rancid fat smells like bedbugs to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment