Thursday 13 April 2023

Carolyn Nelson


            On Wednesday morning I finished working out the chords for "Harley David son of a bitch" by Serge Gainsbourg. I ran through it in French, adjusted my translation and then ran through it in English. I'll upload it to Christian's Translations tomorrow and might even have time to publish it on the blog. 
            I weighed 84 kilos before breakfast, which is the lightest I've been in the morning in eight days.
            I called the Parkdale Dental Clinic and asked for an appointment for a cleaning and a checkup. I was ready to be told that I wasn't eligible but she gave me September 8 but said something might open up in the summer. Meanwhile I need a cleaning and a checkup now even if I have to pay for it and so I called Smile City. She offered me Saturday but I asked for something earlier. She said I could come tomorrow if I don't mind waiting, so I took 13:30 tomorrow. 
            I called Topcuts and found out my favourite stylist Amy will be in at 13:00 on Friday. So teeth tomorrow and hair on Friday. The rest of my week is planned. After that I've got to find time to do my taxes and also to fill out a form that I received from Canada Pension that might give me a bump in my income. 
            I weighed 84.4 kilos before lunch and that's the least I've weighed at that time in eight days. I had saltines with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of orange juice. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride and now that school is over I took the time to go all the way to Yonge and Bloor for the first time since early last September. I also wore shorts for the first time since the end of the summer. Everybody seemed in a good mood and so was I. 
            I weighed 83.8 kilos at 17:00. Every time I've weighed myself today is the lightest I've been at that time in eight days. I was caught up on my journal at 18:30. 
            I reviewed the videos of me singing and playing "Joanna" by Serge Gainsbourg and my translation recorded from July 1 to July 6 of last year. Of the English ones, July 2 and 6 were two of the best and on July 6 I looked friendly and expressive. July 3 and July 5 were two of the best French ones. I looked friendly on July 3 and on July 5 I was energetic, but there was less light than usual. 
            In the Movie Maker project for creating a video of my song "Instructions for Electroshock Therapy" I inserted the snarling wolf footage into the video to correspond with the line, "a delayed attack is coming around". Next I need to edit out the part of the concert video when I sing that line and try to synchronize it with the studio audio when I sing "in ten to twenty seconds on the killing ground of shock therapy". I'm glad to get back to working on this project and I hope to have it done before the end of the summer. 
            I half cooked two strips of thick bacon in the oven. I put Basilica sauce on a loaf of naan and added the bacon, then I put five-year-old cheddar on top of that and baked my pizza until the cheese was melted. I had it with a beer while watching season 6, episode 28 of The Beverly Hillbillies. Then I had a slice of strawberry-rhubarb pie with skyr and a cup of coffee while watching the penultimate episode of season 6. 
            In the first story, Granny has several premonitions and the first one is that a neighbour from back home would have twins and she guesses the names of the babies. She predicts Jethro is going on a long trip, that Elly is going to have seven young'uns, that Jed is going to settle down with a beautiful woman who'll take care of his children, that Mr. Drysdale is coming into a large amount of money and that Jane is going to get a raise. The first prediction comes true but it turns out that Alverna Bradshaw told Granny on the phone three months before about the twins coming and what their names would be. Granny gives up on making predictions until Elly announces that she's just found seven puppies on their doorstep. Granny thinks she does have powers after all but it turns out that Elly went to the pet store and bought seven puppies to make Granny feel better about her prophecies. Drysdale comes to Granny, excited about the money. She gives him $5. He says that's not a large sun but she says it is back home. You could buy a piece of land to live on with it. He gets her to pick out some stock for him. It turns out to be stock in a stagecoach company which hasn't made wagons since 1805. But then miraculously the stock goes up 3 points a share. However that's because Jed has decided to help out Drysdale by buying the company for $1.5 million. Drysdale hates it when Jed spends the money he keeps in Drysdale's bank. 
            In the second story Drysdale has asked the Clampetts to reassemble the exact replica of their Tennessee cabin because he wants to use it for a commercial for his bank. He wants to do a rags to riches story showing how he took the destitute hillbillies and with his financial wizardry and turned them into millionaires. Jane tells him that's unethical because it's not true since Jed became a millionaire because of oil being discovered on his property before he met Drysdale. He tells Jane that he's been saving a nest egg for her for years, but it turns out to be a giant egg in a nest. Another secretary walks in to see Drysdale with egg all over him. Mrs. Drysdale wants the cabin torn down but Milburn takes her inside to explain his plan, She knocks him through the door. Granny now must treat Drysdale and decides on a head transplant with Jethro but Jethro refuses. She can't use Elly because she wouldn't look good in a moustache. Finally the movie gets made. They decide to humour Drysdale and he gives them old clichéd hillbilly clothes to wear. Jethro is a half wit, Elly is toothless, Granny is dirty. Drysdale arrives dressed as Super Banker with his dollar sign wand. Then they shoot the after segment with Jed in a suit on his way to see his stock broker, Elly in a riding habit with all her teeth, Jethro dressed in a cap and gown on his way to his graduation, and Granny in white furs on her way to a date with Mr. Clean. 
            The other secretary was played by Carolyn Nelson, who played Yeoman Atkins in the second season Star Trek episode The Deadly Years. She made guest appearances on a few TV series. She married Joseph Sargent and they founded Deaf West Theatre which has won two Tony Awards. Most of her acting work was under his direction. They were married 44 years until he died. She also founded the Free Arts Clinic for Abused Children. 




            I've made it to forty days without finding a bedbug. If I go ten more days then I'll stop my meticulous before-bedtime searches.

No comments:

Post a Comment