Sunday 30 April 2023

Frank Cady


            On Saturday morning I posted "The Silk and the Velvet", my translation of "De velours et de soie" by Boris Vian on my Boris Vian Facebook page. Tomorrow I'll start learning his song "Dernière valse" (Final Waltz), which is a song about suicide. 
            I blog published "That's Love's Consolation", which is my translation of "Amour Consolation" by Serge Gainsbourg. I tried to find the lyrics or even a video for his song "Papa milles putes" but all I got is a children's song called "Papa milles-pattes" (Daddy Millipede) by another songwriter. As far as I can tell "Papa milles-putes" (Daddy Millipimp) is a parody of the children's song that he maybe wrote to sing on a TV show. I listened once to his song "Adieu Bijou" and tomorrow I'll start memorizing it.
            Switching the leather strap from the Washburn to my new Martin helped me play more comfortably during song practice. But I think the problem is that I can't get used to playing with the strap attached to the button at the base of the neck. I'm going to ignore the button and try tying the strap at the top of the neck like I did with the Washburn. I think that will be more comfortable for my back because with the strap at the base the weight of the neck drops the guitar to the left and throws me off. I want to be able to take my hands off the guitar and have it stay in one place. 
            I weighed 84.7 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I went down to No Frills where I bought five bags of grapes, a pack of blueberries, a pack of strawberries, a pack of three chicken legs, a pack of Irish Spring soap, Basilica sauce, salsa, a large container of skyr, and a bag of kettle chips. 
            When I got home I switched my guitar strap from the button at the bottom of the neck to the top of the neck. That's a lot more comfortable and now I can let go of the guitar without the neck tilting down. Hopefully the leather string won't break. To prevent that from happening it might be better to use the shoelace that's right now tied to the Washburn. 
            I installed the guitar hanger that I bought from the 12th Fret. I only needed the drywall anchor for the bottom screw. I mounted it about 2.25 meters up the north wall of my bedroom between the old exit door and the big storage shelf. I hung the Washburn from it and I'll keep the Martin in the stand on the floor below it for easier access. 
            When I was standing on the chair to screw in the hanger I looked down at the top of the old exit door and found a dead bedbug. I assume it had been dead for a few months. 
            I've been listening to Funkadelic and they have a great version of "Sunshine of Your Love". 


            I weighed 85.3 kilos before lunch. I had saltines and seven-year-old cheddar with a glass of limeade. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride but it was raining a bit so I didn't go all the way downtown. I just went to Bloor and Dovercourt. I was a little damp when I got home. 
            I weighed 85.1 kilos at 17:45. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 17:47. 
            I re-reviewed my recordings of "Kenya" on June 11, June 13, June 18, and June 20 of 2022. June 11 is the best so far because it has very little traffic noise compared to the others. I compared my recordings of "La bas c'est natural" on June 19 and June 25. June 25 has more noise and so it's out of the competition. I have two more of both these versions to re-review before I decide which ones to upload to YouTube. 
            I downloaded the scene from the 1978 version of The Invasion of the Body Snatchers in which Donald Sutherland is approached by Veronica Cartwright and we see for sure that Donald has been replaced by an alien as he begins to point at her and scream. I tried to convert the MP4 file into AVI in Total Video Converter but for some unknown reason it didn't work this time. I tried every possible format but TVC kept shutting down. Finally I just uploaded the file to Cloud Convert and it converted it in a matter of seconds. I imported the AVI file into Movie Maker and made it into a movie in its format, then I imported that movie to my Movie Maker project of creating a video for my song "Instructions for Electroshock Therapy". I loaded it at the end of the timeline and edited out all the parts that show Veronica's horrified reaction because I just want the finger pointing to correspond with my line, "it helps us to remember it's the patient's fault in shock therapy". I'll insert the clip into the main video probably tomorrow. 
            I emptied my negative scanner of the photos of my daughter in the water at the beach after uploading them to my computer. I scanned the rest of the negs from that set, which were shots of the streetcar at the Neville Park loop across the street from where I used to live in the early 1990s. The next set of negatives I scanned are from the mid 1980s of my ex-girlfriend Whitefeather with her two sons. Then I started a black and white set from 1987 that has shots of me with my ex-girlfriend Brenda. 
            I made pizza on naan with Basilica sauce, hot Hungarian sausage, and seven-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 7, episodes 6 and 7 of The Beverly Hillbillies.
            In the first story the Clampetts return to Beverly Hills from England. Granny finds a telegram from Cousin Pearl telling her about Betty Jo Bradley having a baby in Hooterville. Granny thinks it's a medical emergency, especially when she hears that the baby is in the hospital, not realizing she was born there. This seems to be a crossover with the show Petticoat Junction. Nobody knows who Betty Jo Bradley is but Granny knows from the telegram that she's Kate Bradley's daughter, who she doesn't know either. Kate Bradley is played by Bea Benaderet and so is Cousin Pearl but we don't see either character in this episode. Kate Bradley runs the Shady Rest Hotel in Petticoat Junction but there is no phone there and so Granny has to call Sam Drucker's store in Hooterville where Uncle Jo Carson is playing checkers. Uncle Jo thinks Granny is a practical joker since he doesn't know anybody in Beverly Hills. When she asks for directions to Hooterville he tells her to drive through the Grand Canyon. Granny is so busy trying to figure out how to get to Hooterville that she isn't cooking and so Jethro is starving. Elly May is boiling pebbles to get the tar off so her birds can eat them for roughage. But Jethro thinks they're grits and gravy and eats them, getting an upset stomach. Jed asks Jane to come and cook while Granny is away and she comes over to get oriented before Granny leaves, but she throws out her back while reaching for a high shelf. Jed holds on to her for support and then Granny walks in, thinking that Jed and Jane have started up a romance. Granny tells Mr. Drysdale and now he thinks he has to be extra nice to Jane if she's going to have control of Jed's $80 million. She showers her with gifts and gives her a raise until he finds out the truth, then he takes it all away and fires her as usual. 
            In the second story Granny has been in Hooterville for a while, and this is continued from the Petticoat Junction episode "Granny the Baby Expert". Betty Jo and Steve's puppy has gotten into the baby bassinet and is drinking from the baby bottle. When Granny sees it she thinks it's Betty Jo and Steve's baby. She tries to cure it and the next time she looks she sees a baby, so she thinks she's a miracle worker. Then when she sees Steve with the dog she thinks it's changed back and so she tries to cure it again and later sees the baby. Then she gets an urgent message from Jethro that they are starving and so Granny takes a railroad handcar, a horse, a motorcycle, and a crop dusting plane and then parachutes to the Clampett mansion in Beverly Hills. 
            I had always thought that Hooterville was somewhere near where the Clampetts originally lived in Tennessee. The zip code mentioned puts it in Kentucky but it has also been said that it's outside of Chicago. It was apparently based on Eldon, Missouri. Nobody there has a southern US accent. It's more generically midwestern US. 
            Meanwhile Jane has arranged for the Clampetts to hire a cook. A beautiful Italian woman comes to stay and cooks the best food they've ever eaten. Jethro thinks the red gravy, or marinera is called marijuana sauce. Maria the cook was played by Maria Mirka, who was born in London, U.K. Not much is known about her. She also appeared on It Takes a Thief and The Governor and J.J. 
            Sam Drucker was played by Frank Cady, who played the character on Green Acres and Petticoat Junction. He graduated from Stanford University with a BA in speech and drama. He apprenticed in the Westminster Theatre in London and appeared in four plays on the London stage. His first television appearance was on the BBC. He was married for 68 years to singer and actor Shirley Jones of The Music Man and The Partridge Family until she died. He met her while he was a teaching assistant of drama at Stanford. His first film was an uncredited appearance in He Walked By Night. He was half the couple sleeping on the fire escape in Hitchcock's Rear Window. He also played Doc Williams on The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet.






No comments:

Post a Comment