Friday 14 April 2023

Roy Clark


            On Thursday morning I worked out the chords for the intro and the first two lines of "De velours et de soie" (The Silk and the Velvet) by Boris Vian. 
            I blog-published "Harley Riding Vibrating Bitch", my translation of "Harley David son of a bitch" by Serge Gainsbourg. Tomorrow I'll start learning his controversial song "Lemon Incest". 
            I weighed 84.6 kilos before breakfast. 
            Just after 12:30 I left for Smile City. I couldn't find the entrance after walking up and down the block twice. I was worried that they might have moved out of the Bloor and Dundas area. I inquired at another dentist's office and the receptionist told me the address, which was just a few doors east where it's always been. I was half an hour early and had to wait another hour on top of that. There were some familiar faces but a lot of new ones. Someone called me to follow her to one of the rooms. I sat waiting a long time and then someone else came in and asked my name, saying that she'd been looking for me. She took several x-rays and then told me to wait in the waiting room for a "big" x-ray. Then the dentist that I'd had eight years ago called me. He went by the name of Dr. Thomas back then. I remember that his business card had an Indian name crossed out with Dr. Thomas written in. The last time I'd seen him he extracted a tooth and I thought he was a bit of a dick to me. The next year when I came back they gave me Dr. He. When Dr. Thomas saw that I was seeing another dentist he seemed bothered by it. Anyway, this time I was sent for the big x-ray and I think it was a 3-D x-ray machine. I had to stand and put my chin on something, then bite something a little higher than that and hold onto handles on each side while the machine rotates around my head. Then I went back to Dr. Thomas. He said what I expected, which was that my big upper left tooth should be removed. He said my pain on the lower left is not because of a tooth but the gingivitis in my gums. He said a cleaning should make it less sensitive. He froze the upper area and then did a cleaning. When the cleaning was done he had the assistant polish my teeth but the polisher tip kept coming off in my mouth and she'd have to dig it out. Dr. Thomas asked if my mouth was frozen and I said not really so he gave me another more painful prick. Then it took him a second to pull my tooth. I was surprised because the last tooth he'd pulled took a few minutes. He explained that there was a lot of bone loss in this tooth. I thought I would have to pay something but was told it had all been covered by Green Shield. That was nice. The problem with Smile City is that it's such a factory. There's too much traffic, it's busy, it's a jumble, and more things go wrong. I prefer going to Dr. Lake at Parkdale but it's too bad there's such a long waiting time between appointments. 
            With gauze stuffed in the gap where my tooth had been to stop the bleeding I rode to Dundas and took it south and then east to Gladstone, then I went to Freshco where I bought seven bags of grapes, a pack each of raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries, some bananas, a bag of kettle chips, a container of skyr, and a jug of limeade. 
            They'd given me extra gauze and I changed it several times. I didn't eat lunch but just took a siesta for an hour. 
            I emailed Albert Moritz for advice on whether I should contact Exile Editions about my manuscript, since it's been in editorial review there for almost a year and a half. 
            The gauze was still coming out bloody. I was on the last wad of it when I made dinner. I had a potato with gravy and a chicken breast while watching the sixth season finale of The Beverly Hillbillies. The pain from eating was gone but my mouth was so uncomfortable from the extraction that I couldn't fully enjoy my food. 
            Cousin Roy Halsey is coming to visit the Clampetts. But this brings back the rivalry that existed between Granny and Roy's mother Myrtle over who was the best cook and who made the best tonic. Granny asks Jed, if Myrtle was such a great cook why was Roy always eating at their place. Jed says it was because Roy was sweet on Elly May. Roy arrives and plays Elly one of the songs he wrote for her. Roy is there to branch out his mother's tonic business into Hollywood. Roy goes downtown in front of Drysdale's bank, draws a crowd with his banjo playing and then starts to peddle Mother Myrtle's Magic Mixture. A cop comes up and it looks like he's about to arrest Roy but then he says that back in Missouri Mother Myrtle's changed him from being a weakling. 
            Granny tries to peddle her tonic in the same place. She sees a man lying on the street doing some work on the fire hydrant but she thinks he's collapsed. She forces her tonic down his throat and then he runs away. He brings back the same cop as before and Granny has Jethro hold the cop while she forces some down his throat as well. Granny and Jethro are arrested. 
            Jed talks to Myrtle on the phone and he tells her that she should speak to Drysdale about promoting her mixture. Drysdale invites her to come out because she says she's always been like a daughter to Granny. Myrtle is about the same age as Granny but she arrives in a mini skirt and starts chasing Jethro, asking him, "Where's the nearest love in?" 
            Roy and Myrtle were both played by Roy Clark, who was the winner of the 1951 and 1952 National Banjo Championships. The second win led to him appearing on The Grand Ole Opry at the age of 17. In 1954 he became the lead guitarist for Jimmy Dean's Wildcats. At the age of 23 he earned his pilot's certificate and came to own several planes over the years. In 1969 he became the co-host with Buck Owens of Hee Haw, which ran until 1997. He was the highest paid country star between 1969 and 1971. He was country entertainer of the year in 1973. He was given a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1975. Among his many hit songs were "Come Live With Me", 


"Yesterday When I Was Young" , 


and "Thank God and Greyhound You're Gone". 




 

             I watched season 26, episode 1 of South Park. 
             Kyle is starting to hang out with Tolkien making Tik Toks together. Stan, who has always been Kyle's best friend is jealous. Cartman has decided to help Stan out. Every year around Valentines Day a little angel that Cartman calls Cupid Me comes out of his head, but now it calls itself Cupid Ye. Cartman tells Tolkien that black people are the real Jews but the white Jews stole being the chosen people from them. Then Cartman starts spreading the conspiracy theory that Kyle runs Hollywood. Students start asking Kyle to help them break into Hollywood. Then Randy Marsh goes to Kyle's father and tries to get him to talk to Kyle about changing Hollywood. Cartman appears on television in disguise and is introduced as a world famous rapper claiming that the Jews run Hollywood. Then Kyle and Tolkien break up as friends. Cupid Ye says now it's time to spread their Nazi message all over the world and that Hitler was a great Christian and people had to die so better races could live. Cartman realizes Cupid Ye has to get back inside his head. The next day is Valentine's Day and at South park Elementary all the kids are having fun giving out Valentines when Cupid Ye starts shooting them with his arrows that turn them into Nazis. All of the kids turn against Kyle, except for Stan and Tolkien. The Nazi crowd are advancing towards them when Cartman tackles Cupid Ye and forces him to take his meds, changing him back into Cartman's Cupid Me. Cupid Me shoots everybody with his arrows again and turns them back to normal. Later Kyle explains to a gathered audience of adults that Jews are only a decent percentage of the thousands of people who make Hollywood run. The audience cheers but they like his message so much they think Kyle the Jew should run Hollywood. Now he knows no one was listening. 
            I've made it to forty-one days without finding a bedbug.

No comments:

Post a Comment