Tuesday 18 April 2023

Todd Stashwick


            On Monday morning I force-started the furnace for the first time in a while because it was down to 8 degrees. 
            I worked out the chords for all but the last four lines of "Lemon incest" by Serge Gainsbourg. I should have it finished tomorrow. 
            I weighed 86 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I worked on filling out a form that is supposed to assess, I guess, if I'm eligible for a bump in my Guaranteed Income Supplement payments. I had to search through 2020 in my bank account to find out when I last received pay from employment. It was April 2020. Then they wanted to know when I received my first CPP payment and when it changed. It's odd they wouldn't have access to my tax information already. They wanted to know what other income I had in 2021, so I had to search my records. It took me about an hour and I was able to eat lunch on time. 
            I weighed 85.6 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride to Yonge and Bloor. It was lightly raining the whole way but not enough to get soaked. It was cold though and I was dressed in two scarves, my hoody, my leather jacket and my winter gloves. I was comfortable dressed like that while everybody else was walking around dressed for spring. When I got back to Parkdale I went to the post office and mailed the form for the GIS. I think this is the first time the government has sent me a form to fill out accompanied by an envelope that isn't postage paid. I wonder if the government is going broke. 
            I weighed 85.3 kilos at 17:15, which is the heaviest I've been at that time in eight days. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:00. 
            I got a notice that my test and my final paper have been marked. I got an A- on my test and an A on my final essay. Here are Professor Jaffe's comments: 

            Test: This is a lovely series of reflections; it is not in the form of an argument, but the unconventionality works to some extent. Nevertheless, having to adhere to the conventions (also to some extent), I wish at the same time for a longer essay, more substantial paragraphs, and a somewhat more substantial context for your suggestive but sometimes unmoored observations. 

            Paper: There are several excellent analyses of the novel here, chiefly surrounding the idea of aesthetics; the points you make about Victor’s relation to society, and about the role of beauty and that of ugliness here, are all important. Your observations about seeing through the monster’s body and your analysis of its eyes are really illuminating: you show that the fear here is really a fear of everything not at the surface: of the body and life itself. The point about womens’ education with which you begin is less obviously connected, and seems like a false start because you leave it behind. The other sections of the argument could also be more clearly linked to one another: you weave from topic to topic in a series of reflections that are always interesting but not tightly organized into an argument. It makes for a stronger paper, too, to present your argument as an argument, rather than a statement of fact or truth: you need to persuade the reader with the strength of your examples. All of that said, this is an incredibly thorough and deeply researched essay. 

            I compared the videos of me singing "Joanna" in French on June 19 and on July 3 of last year. July 3 is definitely better. I compared July 3 to July 5, and July 5 is dark, with too much traffic noise so July 3 wins again. I compared July 3 to July 7 and I think I'm just a little more present on July 7, plus my hair looks better. I compared July 7 to July 11 and July 11 is good but it has too much traffic noise so July 7 wins. I compared July 7 to July 15 and though both have traffic noise, July 7 has less and it has better lighting. I'm going to upload July 7 to You Tube. I established yesterday that the English version I'll upload was recorded on June 18. 
            I searched for "Unconsciousness in silent movies" to see if I could find something that would fit with my line, "If unconsciousness follows the charge a delayed attack will come". I found that "The Fall of the House of Usher" and "Way Down East" both have scenes that might work. Especially Way Down East in the scene with Lillian Gish unconscious on an ice floe while the ice is rushing towards a waterfall. I bookmarked both of them. 
            I had a potato with gravy and the rest of the pieces of the chicken I roasted last week (the spine and the wings) while watching season 3, episode 1 of Star Trek Picard. 
            Beverly Crusher is in a ship outside of the edge of Federation space. Her ship is under attack. She locks whomever she's with in a chamber it seems to protect them. She tries to go to warp but her ship is boarded. She manages to fight off the attackers but is wounded. She sends a coded message to Admiral Picard. He receives it on an old com badge he wore decades ago on the Enterprise and digs it out of a box. Beverly needs his help and tells him to trust no one from Star Fleet. He contacts Will Ryker and he thinks he knows a way they can get hold of a ship. They go to the new Titan and pretend they are there for an inspection. The are received by Seven of Nine who is the Titan's first officer. The captain is a by the book asshole named Smith who refuses their request to take the ship to the Ryton System. But while Smith is sleeping Seven takes the ship there. At the edge of Federation space Picard and Ryker take a shuttle and find Beverly's ship. Ryker is captured by Jack who puts down the phaser when he realizes they are there to help. He says he's Beverly's son. Beverly is in stasis so her condition won't get worse. Jack says they are being hunted and that Picard and Ryker have led the enemy there.
            Meanwhile Raffi is working undercover for Starfleet and is posing as a junkie to get information. She's looking for a portal device being used as a weapon. She's following a lead about The Red Lady and trying to figure out what it is. She discovers it's a statue about to be unveiled on M'talas Prime and goes there but too late before the portal device destroys the Starfleet facility. 
            Captain Shaw is played by Todd Stashwick, who joined Chicago's Second City in 1992. He moved to New York and started his own improv group that performed the acclaimed underground show "Burn Manhattan". He was an actor on Late Night With Conan O'Brien from 1997 to 2000. In LA he founded his own improv theatre called The Hothouse. He performs with another improv group The Doubtful Guests. He's the writer and co-creator of the web comic The Devil Inside. He married his wife Charity in the middle of Times Square in 1997. he played Minnie Driver's cousin on The Riches. He played Dr. Drakken in the movie Kim Possible. He played Deacon on 12 Monkeys. He played Eli on Heroes. 




            

            For the 45th night in a row I found no bedbugs.


No comments:

Post a Comment