Tuesday 25 April 2023

Jonathan Frakes


            On Monday morning I memorized the fifth verse of "Amour Consolation" by Serge Gainsbourg and made some more changes to my translation. 
            I weighed 85.9 kilos before breakfast, which is the most I've weighed in the morning in a week.
            Since the guitar shops I wanted to visit today are closed, I decided to do some cleaning. I finished washing the inside of the bathroom door frame and the wall to the left of it as far as I could reach. There was no time to drag the stepladder down from the third floor landing. I also washed the wall above the bathroom sink and removed the mirror to wash behind it. The screw that was sticking out from the wall to hold the mirror in place popped off and I couldn't find it. I had to figure out some other attachment. I found a thin bolt that fit one of those drywall anchor brackets. I secured it inside the hole with the threads sticking out, slipped the hook of the mirror over it and then screwed another drywall anchor on the outside to hold it in place. Then I cleaned the mirror. 
            I weighed 85.5 kilos before lunch and that's the most I've weighed at that time in a week. 
            Just before 16:00 I headed out for my bike ride but it immediately started to rain so I came home. Fifteen minutes later it stopped raining and so I rode downtown and back. At Bloor and Dufferin I was waiting for the light and there was a woman walking west with a big, awkward looking Doberman. He was walking with his legs far apart and hesitating while sniffing the ground. His caregiver noticed me looking and explained that he wanted to go to the park. It looks like that's where she took him because she changed direction and took him south. 
            When I got home I went to pee and didn't have to go that badly but as soon as I unzipped I felt myself starting to urinate. I stopped myself and got properly ready to release myself but it took me by surprise. I didn't pee very much in my clothes and my underwear didn't feel wet but it was a strange occurrence. I think sometimes my mind signals that it's time to let go before I'm ready. 
            I weighed 85.2 kilos at 17:30. So in terms of the three times I weigh myself every day, today is a carbon copy of last Monday. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:15. I reviewed the videos from June 8 to June 16 of me playing "La bas c'est natural" by Serge Gainsbourg and my translation, "Kenya". There was generally a lot of traffic noise. In the best of the French ones the spit-screen was sometimes over my mouth. The two best versions of "Kenya" were on June 11 and 13. 
            I started searching for video that might fit with the line, "if you're looking for a grand mal seizure just raise the voltage some". I narrowed it down to "grand mal seizure raise the voltage vintage" because older video footage of anything tends to fit better with the darker tone of my concert video of the song "Instructions for Electroshock Therapy". Modern footage tends to be slick, bright, and a little too colourful. I found a documentary called "Torture or Therapy, the Truth About Electroshock". In terms of imagery it doesn't have a lot that I can use but I watched most of it anyway because I found it interesting. 
            I had a potato with gravy and my last three pork ribs while watching season 3, episode 8 of Star Trek Picard. 
            Vadic has taken control of the Titan's bridge and is terrorizing the crew of the lower decks by shutting off the lights, communications, and blocking any means of escape so her Changelings can get to them. Picard, Beverly, Jack, and Sidney are somewhere else, while Geordie and Alandra are with a shut off Data I assume in engineering. Jack sends his consciousness out to take over one of the lower decks officers so he can see through his eyes what's going on. He returns to his own body when a Changeling kills the crewmember. Vadic sends a ship-wide demand for Jack to come to the bridge. She gives him ten minutes before she starts killing one member of the bridge crew every ten minutes. Jack takes over one of the bridge crew and tries to use him to override the systems with Picard's codes, but Vadic catches him and knows it's Jack inside. Jack returns to his own body. Vadic executes one lieutenant after teasing three others with her weapon. 
            Meanwhile nearby on the Shrike, Riker and Deanna are in their cell when a torturer comes for Deanna. But he is killed by Worf. They find Picard's original body. They head for the shuttle and escape. 
            Picard, Beverly, Jack, and Sidney go to Geordie and say they want him to turn Data on and get him to retake the ship. Inside of Data's positronic body, he and Lore are partitioned off but the partition needs to be lowered to give Data a chance to take control. The partition is lowered. Data is holding cherished objects that are memories of his friends. Lore takes away his Sherlock Holmes pipe and with each thing he takes away a little more of Data disappears and Lore becomes stronger. But Data starts giving Lore his mementos. Lore has none of his own but takes them as trophies. He gives him his poker deck and his cat Spot then Data disappears entirely. But then Lore begins disappearing and Data reappears. He tells Lore that in taking the things that are him, he has become him. Data hugs Lore and Lore dissolves. 
            Jack arrives on the bridge. He's holding what might be a bomb. He says he will destroy himself if she doesn't let the bridge crew go. She has them locked in another room but Seven forces her way back onto the bridge. Vadic knows Jack hears voices and sees a red door in visions. She offers to help put the pieces together. 
            Data wakes up and takes over the systems, allowing Riker, Worf, Deanna, and Raffi to dock and start fighting the Changelings. Jack pushes the button on the device he's holding and stands next to Seven. It's not a bomb but a forcefield bubble. The evacuation hatch is opened and Vadic is sucked into space where she freezes, hits the outside of the ship and shatters like glass. The bridge crew return and Seven has the Titan fire on and destroy the Shrike. Picard, Riker, Deanna, Beverly, Geordie, Worf, and Data sit around a table together like old times. Worf gets sentimental and says, "I have slaughtered many enemies over the years and considered sending their heads to all of you. But I was advised that was passive aggressive." Deanna says there is a darkness not in Jack but through and around him. She says it's time she met him. Deanna meets Jack and senses the red door. She tells him it's time he go through it and she accompanies him as he touches the knob. 
            Will Riker is played by Jonathan Frakes, who started playing trombone in Grade 4. In high school he was in a band. He got the acting bug while working as a theatre usher. He moved to New York and got small roles on Broadway. He got work for Marvel comics dressing up as Captain America for promotional events. He played Tom Carrol in the soap opera The Doctors. He moved to LA and started appearing on TV series. He played Marcus Marshal on the soap opera Bare Essence. He was cast in Star Trek personally by Gene Roddenberry in 1987 with no knowledge of Star Trek. As the series progressed he began directing as well and continued directing for Deep Space Nine, and Star Trek Voyager. He directed the movies Clockstoppers, First Contact and Insurrection. He is the only Star Trek regular to have appeared in all five of modern series from the Star Trek franchise. He starred in the series Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction.



No comments:

Post a Comment