Thursday 20 April 2023

April 20, 1993: The teacher thought my poses were too long or too short so I told her her watch was designed by H.G. Wells


Thirty years ago today

            On Tuesday morning I woke up at 7:15 and decided what dirty pants to wear. I got to work at George Brown College at around 8:20. The instructor June Handera told me to do two minute gestures and I started posing. She told me to make the gestures longer. I asked, "Longer than two minutes?" She said, "No, two minutes." I said, "They were." Then she asked me to do ten minute poses but after seven minutes she announced, "Five minutes left." My count couldn't have been off that much. Some times she'd declare that the pose had gone over ten minutes when I counted two minutes left. At one point I said, "June, I think your watch was designed by H.G. Wells." She got really pissed off and sent the class on their break five minutes early, during which time she and I had an argument. I was thinking that the situation might have been influenced by the fact that the Moon, the Sun, Venus, and Mercury were all in Aries. Anyway, I felt upset after that, as if maggots were chewing on my emotional heart. In the afternoon I went to work at Central Technical School but the class was canceled because the students were getting ready for an exhibition. I would get paid anyway. I asked the instructor Michael Gerry if my timing of my poses was off and he didn't think so. I called Nancy but couldn't reach her. I wrote this on my way home just as the train was pulling into Woodbine Station. I went home for a while and then at around 18:30 I went to Spadina and Bloor to see if I could copy a collage but they couldn't do twelve by twelve so I went to Future Bakery to wait for Diana Dufretes. She showed up at a little after 20:00. We went to see "Prospero's Books" at the Bloor Cinema and then to the By the Way Café where we ate, drank, and talked.

No comments:

Post a Comment