Sunday 2 April 2023

David Bond


            On Saturday morning I memorized the third and fourth verses of "I'm the Boy" by Serge Gainsbourg. There's just one verse left and so I should have the whole song nailed down tomorrow. 
            I weighed 83 kilos before breakfast, which is the lightest I've been in the morning so far this year. 
            In the late morning I went down to No Frills where I bought three bags of red grapes, two bags of black grapes, a pack of raspberries, some bananas, a sack of potatoes, a bag of naan, some multigrain sandwich bread, a net bag of avocadoes, chili sauce, ginger root, and two bags of kettle chops. I wanted some spoon size shredded wheat but they were out so I bought a box of Shreddies. They're getting tricky with the cereal. The boxes are still the same size in width and height but they are thinner now. But you can't tell their thinner until you're holding the box and I think they hope you won't notice. 
            I had planned on paying for my phone plan on the way to the supermarket but I forgot and so I stopped at Freedom Mobile on my way home. I had to wait behind a guy who'd lost his phone on the streetcar, so he was getting a new one. He wanted his old phone number but he didn't remember what it was so he had to get a new one. It's always time consuming waiting behind people getting phones. Finally the clerk asked him to wait while he dealt with other customers. 
            I had gotten two ginger roots but I didn't put them in a bag and I must have left one of the roots at the bottom of the shopping basket because I only brought home one. 
            I weighed 83.2 kilos before lunch, which is the lightest I've been at that time in three weeks. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride to Bloor and Bathurst. I'd forgotten to buy onions at the supermarket and so when I got home I went out to the corner store and bought three. 
            I weighed 82.8 kilos at 17:00. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 17:45. 
            I spent about two hours on my essay and in researching ideas for Tuesday's test. 
            I sautéed garlic, ginger, onion, mushrooms, and lima beans. I added some miso. I ate while watching season 6, episode 16 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            Milburn Drysdale is upset because his wife Margaret has spent $2500 on an abstract metal sculpture. The Clampetts get a good look at it and think it's a piece of junk. Margaret plans to win first prize at the Beverly Hills Cultural Committee's search for the finest example of privately owned art. The Clampetts think she needs help from them to win. Jed and Jethro go looking for the best art gallery in town. Granny thinks she can paint a masterpiece herself. She does a portrait of Jethro's open mouth as he's about to eat. But Bessie the chimp paints over it some blue bananas on a yellow background. Jed and Jethro go to the A. Allen Allen Gallery which Jethro says it's the best in town because it's number one in the directory. But Allen thinks they are workers he's hired to landscape his garden and mow his lawn. He tells them he'll give them a tour of his gallery after they've done their job. So they go to his address, mow his lawn and also mow the lawn of the golf course next door. By the time they get back Allen has learned who Jed is and he's extremely apologetic. He sells them a Rembrandt. A Sam Rembrandt of three little cherubs. Meanwhile Granny and Elly sneak over to Margaret's back yard to cover Margaret's metal sculpture with mud and turned it into a figurative sculpture. When Granny sees the Sam Rembrandt she doesn't approve of the naked Cupids in the picture and so she paints overalls and long-johns onto their bodies. Later Margaret has the unveiling of the sculpture for the extremely nearsighted Judge Curtis. Margaret is of course shocked at what has been done to her art. But Curtis awards her first prize anyway for the abstract that Bessie is holding even though his vision is so bad he doesn't know Bessie is a chimp. 
            Curtis was played by David Bond, who started appearing in films in the 1940s and on TV in the 1950s, but before that he worked in theatre, including Broadway. He established the Hollywood Shakespeare Festival.


            I haven't found a bedbug for twenty-nine days. If I go three more weeks I'll stop searching and counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment