Friday 2 July 2021

Brenda Sykes


            On Thursday morning I memorized the second and third verses of "Relax Baby Be Cool" by Serge Gainsbourg. There's one verse left. 
            I weighed 89.3 kilos before breakfast. 
            At noon as I usually do on Thursday I took an early bike ride because I wanted to stop at Freshco on the way back. I totally forgot that the supermarkets are closed on Canada Day. I could have preserved my skin from the midday rays and taken an afternoon ride. I rode to Yonge and Bloor and on the way back turned onto Gladstone and into the Freshco parking lot. Just then a couple of women were asking where to find a liquor store and I told them it was on Queen. They reminded me that it was Canada Day and said they were looking for something that might be open where they could buy liquor or beer. I said nothing would be open and only then did I realize that I'd tried to go to the supermarket on Canada Day. 
            I weighed 88 kilos before lunch. I had kettle chips, salsa and yogourt with a glass of orange juice. 
            In the afternoon after posting my blog I worked on my poem series "My Blood In A Bug." 
            I spent about 45 minutes on my project of trying to build a surreal shock therapy machine with old brown leather wrapped around my Roland amp and with my rusted Martian Bouquet sculpture on top. I ran some multi-coloured wires from the leather, winding around the sculpture and entering into its two pipe holes, with another connector running from one hole to the antlers of the sculpture and that looks pretty good so far. I've put together two leather strips that could strap the main leather pieces more tightly to the amp, but I'll have to do some sewing to connect the two ends. 
            I weighed 89.1 kilos at 18:15. 
            I colourized three more damage spots on my skateboarder photo. 
            I scanned some more photos from the first weeks after my daughter's birth and started a set of negatives from 1987 until the scanner was full and I had to upload the images. The 1987 photos have some shots I took inside of a chicken butcher named A. Stork and Sons that used to be where St Patrick Market and Queen Street market is now. It was next door to what used to be the Beverly Tavern, where students and teachers from OCA used to drink. I was working as a waiter at a restaurant named Tangerine and I think one of the chefs sent me over there to order some chicken or pick it up. I had my camera with me and took some pictures of the place on the inside. A couple of shots were of a big lady using a blowtorch to burn the remains of the feathers off of a chicken. 
            I rubbed three chicken legs with olive oil, salt, curry powder and chili powder and grilled them in the oven. I had one with a potato and gravy while watching two episodes of "Mayberry R.F.D."
            In the first story the principal of the high school wants to start a driver's ed course for senior students and asks Sam and Howard for a recommendation. They both agree that Goober knows everything there is to know about cars and that he's a very careful driver. Goober accepts the job and he turns out to be a very good teacher and on top of that the students love him because he is thorough and patient. But one day Goober is carefully manouevering his truck out of the very crowded school parking lot and ends up badly denting the principal's car. Mr Adams is angry at first and Goober is sure he's going to be fired. Sam goes to try to smooth things over with Adams and learns that he was actually willing to forget about it but Mrs Corcoran, a student's mother witnessed the accident and has called a meeting of the other parents to ask that Goober be dismissed. But it turns out that all of the parents whose children have been taught by Goober are impressed with what their kids have learned from him. Ralph Barton says his daughter Dorothy June is now almost as good a driver as he is. Mrs Corcoran is impressed with the other parents' assessments of Goober and agrees that he should keep his job.
            Mrs Corcoran was played by Helen Page Camp, who played Mrs Havenwurst on "Laverne and Shirley", Margaret Furth on "Fresh Prince of Belaire". Tanya Terwilliger on "The Tony Randall Show", Millie Capestro on "13 Queens Boulevard" and the mother on "Richie Brockelman, Private Eye."


            Dorothy June was the first black female to have a speaking part on any Mayberry based show. She was played by Brenda Sykes, who co-starred in the movie "Black Gunn" and on the short lived sitcom "Ozzie's Girls," a sequel to "Ozzie and Harriet," the premise of which was that Ozzie and Harriet's sons had moved out and they took in two female students as boarders, Brenda Sykes being one of them. She played Mandy on "Good Times." She was married for nine years to poet and songwriter Gil Scott Heron and is the mother of poet Gia Scott Heron. 



            In the second story we see that Howard is still dating Grace, whom we last saw when he took her to the harvest dance. Things are going well but there is something missing. Sam advises him that having common interests helps to hold a relationship together so Howard tells Grace he wants to share her hobby, whatever it is. But when she tells him her hobby is skydiving he becomes very nervous and fearful. However he is determined to become closer to Grace and he decides to take lessons. When his first jump approaches he is tempted to back out but decides he wouldn't be able to face himself if he did. He does the jump and everyone is very proud of him. But when he next sees Grace she's bought a motorcycle and wants to get into jumping with it. Realizing that Grace is a thrill seeker, Howard decides there are safer girls to go out with.

No comments:

Post a Comment