Monday 5 July 2021

Marianna Hill


            On Sunday morning I worked out the chords for the first verse and the first line of the chorus of "Relax Baby Be Cool" by Serge Gainsbourg. 
            During song practice I had no twinges of pain at all from the tooth that had been bothering me so much while singing the day before caused by having bitten down hard on a cherry stone on Friday. 
            I weighed 89.4 kilos before breakfast. 
            In the late morning I worked on cleaning my main baking pan that I use for grilling meat. Over the years it was almost covered in black, caked in grease from the rim to halfway down the pan. I spent about an hour scraping it and got all the black off the rim and the inside. There's still the outside left to tackle but most of the black there is not from grease but just from the pan turning black from years of heat. I'll do the best I can.to brighten it up. 
            I weighed 89.2 kilos before lunch. I had Ritz crackers with five year old cheddar and a glass of lemonade.
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride. At Brunswick and Bloor I found a box of books and took Gulliver's Travels by Johnathon Swift, People of the Deer by Farley Mowat, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, Leviathon by Hobbes and Second Treatise on Government by Locke. 
            Just before Spadina a woman was loading some stuff into her car and her back door was blocking the lane. As I approached she held up her finger and impatiently said to me, "One second! One second!" and then she went to close the door, adding, "There's a child in the car!" What would a child being in the car have to do with me getting past her, and if she was concerned about the safety of her child on a bike lane then why park there? It's probably a sense of automobile driver's privilege. Her finding a convenient spot to load her car is more important than just cyclists trying to get by. 
            I rode to Yonge and Bloor. At Yonge and Dundas there was a man in white preaching with a microphone and asking people, "Are you ready to meet the Jesus?" "The" Jesus? Jesus is just a proper name and his title according to Christianity is supposed to be "The Christ", "The Anointed One", "The Messiah" or "The Saviour." Calling him "The Jesus" sounds like "The Donald." 
            On Queen west of Bathurst there was a slow cyclist about my age ahead of me wearing a t-shirt that said "Audience" on the back. There was traffic on our left and parked cars on the right and so I couldn't get by. But when there came an intersection there was room for him to move to the right as most cyclists would. He stayed on the left and so I told him I wanted to pass on the left. He protested, "But I'm going too ..." and then let me pass. 
            I weighed 88.2 kilos after my bike ride. 
            I worked on my poem series "My Blood In A Bug." 
            I sewed part of the bottom left front piece of leather to the main piece that goes over the top and drapes down the left front of my Roland amp to turn it into a surreal shock therapy machine. I want the seam between the two pieces to be hidden by the belt that goes around the amp. This is a lot of work just to build a prop that will only appear for a few seconds in my "Instructions For Electroshock Therapy" music video, but if it works out the way I envision it the effort should be worthwhile. 
            I colourized another damage spot in my skateboarder photo. 
            I made pizza on naan with Bolognese sauce and extra old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching two episodes of Mayberry RFD. 
            In the first story Emmett has paid off his mortgage and has now decided to retire. Even though the actor who plays Emmett is about 64, Emmett is supposed to be only 50. So Emmett closes down the fix-it shop and takes Martha on the trip to Washington they've always wanted to take. But Martha is surprised that after they've toured the city for a couple of hours Emmett wants to leave. Back in Mayberry he goes fishing a lot, tries to hang out with Sam, Goober and Howard when they have work to do, goes to see movies three times, and takes up a different hobby every few days. He's driving Martha crazy. Sam, Goober and Howard conclude that what Emmett really wants is to go back to work but he has too much pride to admit it. So Sam, Goober and Howard pretend to be trying to fix Sam's typewriter when Emmett walks in. He offers to help but they say what they really need is a fix-it shop again in Mayberry. Emmett decides to go back to work for the good of the town. 
            The second story is similar to one that appeared a few years before on The Andy Griffith Show except with a different solution to the problem. Millie's friend Renee is a fashion model in New York and is broken hearted because she's broken up with her boyfriend. Millie invites her to come to Mayberry to stay with her and get her mind off her love life. But after Renee arrives Millie catches a cold and asks Sam to show Renee around and entertain her. But then Millie sees Renee attaching herself to Sam and getting the romantic notion of becoming a farmer's wife. Bee comes up with a cure for this by inviting Renee out to Sam's farm. Bee pretends she had to get up at 5:00 to chop wood, plug her own turkey and do all her other chores. Suddenly Renee wants to go back to New York. 
            Renee was played by Marianna Hill, who was brought up travelling the world with her family and so when she took up acting she was already adept at several accents. She studied with Lee Strasberg and later became a teacher at one of his schools. She co-starred in "Red Line 7000", "High Plains Drifter", the Elvis film "Paradise Hawaiian Style", "The Baby" and played Deanna Dunn Corleone in "The Godfather II". Most of her work consisted of guest appearances on TV series and she kissed Captain Kirk in the Star Trek episode "Dagger of the Mind".











No comments:

Post a Comment