Wednesday 7 July 2021

Frank Puglia


            On Tuesday morning I had planned on uploading my translation of "Relax Baby Be Cool" by Serge Gainsbourg and the chords to Christian's Translations but Shankar's wifi was down. So instead I memorized Gainsbourg's song "Daisy Temple," then I worked out the chords to the intro and the first line of the refrain. 
            When I shut down my computer at 7:00 to begin song practice I noticed the wifi had come back on. 
            There's a guy that I see every now and then outside my window in the morning during my rehearsals and he sometimes enthusiastically waves at me. I had just finished my first five songs and went to the kitchen to get some more water. I was finishing the glass I had and standing with my guitar when I saw the guy walking across the Dollarama parking lot with two attractive young women who looked like they were from Latin America. He pointed at me and said something to them. I went back to the living room and started my next song and they deliberately crossed the street in the direction of my window. As they passed below they looked up and smiled and waved at me. The woman on the right was wearing a pretty floral dress with big white flowers on a red background.
            As I was finishing song practice I turned the computer back on and the wifi was off again. 
            I weighed 88.9 kilos before breakfast. 
            Since I had a dentist's appointment for 14:00 when I would normally be lying down for a siesta I went to bed from 11:00 to 12:30. When I got up I did the dishes. 
            I weighed 88.1 kilos before an early lunch. I had kettle chips, salsa and yogourt with a glass of orange juice. 
            I left home at around 13:25 and got to Midtown Dental just before 14:00. They took my temperature and I filled out the covid symptom questionnaire while dripping sweat on the paper. A young woman had me follow her to a room. In the room was David the dental assistant, who had me sit in a chair and put on the darkest glasses I've ever worn. I could only see the outlines of the brightest objects in the room. They took a picture of my tooth and then an x-ray. 
           Dr. Ramlaggan remembered me from April of 2020 when I had the dental emergency and Midtown was one of the only places equipped with covid precautions. He asked if I wanted to wear the glasses and I said no. He admitted that they were a little too effective and said that they come from China. 
            He confirmed that my tooth was broken and the top piece was just being held on by the gum. I heard the doctor in the hallway tell David that he was moving too slow and would have to speed it up. Today as a temporary measure he removed the piece of tooth, cleaned it up and glued it back in place. I had to make an appointment for next Saturday to have a crown put on. Today's procedure cost $468 of which my Green Shield insurance will pay $119. The crown will cost $1200 and I was supposed to pay half of that today but my bank rejected a payment of $600, I guess since I'd already paid the $468 and there seems to be a $1000 limit that I didn't know about. I've hardly ever spent $1000 on anything in my life. When I come back on Saturday Ramlaggan is going to try to do it all in one session but it might be spread into two. Either way it won't cost me more than the flat rate of an arm and a leg that I'm already paying. I'm going to have to practice hopping on one leg and using only one arm to get used to the final payment. 
            I told the doctor I'd been negligent in applying for the Ontario Seniors Dental Plan and he said I should do that but warned me it's not very good and it only covers certain dentists. He doesn't know if he's one of them. 
            I rode down Yonge Street to Queen and home. It was very hot out but having my mouth frozen didn't seem to cool the rest of me down at all.
            I weighed 87.7 kilos after I came home from the dentist. 
            The wifi was still down. I updated my journal and then knocked on Shankar's door. He said his wifi wasn't off but he might have done something because it came back on about half an hour later. 
            I weighed 87.9 kilos at 18:25. 
            I tried to work on my poem series "My Blood In A Bug" but even though I'd had a nap I was too pooped to generate any ideas. So after rubbing nine chicken drumsticks with chili powder and putting them in the oven, I laid down for 48 minutes. When I got up I had the brains to fix a line of a poem. 
            I did a bit of sewing of the leather cover for my Roland amp but not enough for it to look like there's been progress over the day before. 
            For dinner I had a potato with gravy and two chicken drumsticks while watching the first two episodes of the second season of Mayberry RFD. 
            Just as the series premier used Andy Griffith to give the show a boost, the second season used the christening of Andy and Helen's new baby to kick things off. When Andy picks Sam to be the baby's godfather Goober, Howard and Emmett are each offended that they haven't been selected. Afterwards they give Andy the cold shoulder and so Andy tries to find a solution by asking all four of them to be co-godfathers. The pastor reluctantly agrees but says that only one of them can get up and speak during the ceremony. This results in the three bickering over who gets to speak. It is not settled by the time of the ceremony and so when the godfather is called forward all four men get up. The pastor spins it to declare that the child is loved indeed to have four men who all want to take on the responsibility of godfather. 
            Of course the most realistic choice for godfather would have been Barney. 
            Goober makes the claim twice that he introduced Andy to Helen but Andy met Helen as a result of her being Opie's teacher.
            In the second story Sam, Millie, Howard and his girlfriend of the week are enjoying a Saturday night at Morelli's when Mr Morelli tells them he is closing the restaurant. He explains that a rival Italian restaurant is taking all his business by offering entertainment. Sam, Howard and Millie decide to try to book an act to draw a crowd into Morellis. A popular act is given the gig but they cancel at the last minute. Millie and Howard know that Sam used to perform for his fellow soldiers in the army and so they ask him to put on a show. Sam says he can't because it's been twelve years. But then he decides Morelli needs his help and does the kind of act that Ken Berry was famous for. He plays a scarecrow/farmer and starts off with some song and a little dance before finishing with a big dance number. Morelli's is saved. 
            Morelli was played by Frank Puglia, who worked and toured in Italian opera and operetta from the beginning of his teens. He came to the US at 15 and joined an Italian language theatre company in New York. In his late 20s he was spotted and hired by D.W. Griffith to star in "Orphans of the Storm." He played the Moroccan rug merchant in Casablanca. He appeared in over 150 films.



No comments:

Post a Comment