Thursday 15 July 2021

Woodrow Parfrey


            On Wednesday morning when I went to bed at 0:30 my left arm was aching so much that I couldn't sleep on my preferred left side. When I got up it hurt even more and on top of that I felt like I had food poisoning. I don't know if that last thing was from something I ate last night or from the Moderna shot. 
            I memorized the second verse of ""Pas long feu" (Not For Long) by Serge Gainsbourg. 
            I weighed 89.4 kilos before breakfast. 
            In the late morning I finished scraping the black off the bottom of my main baking pan. There are still a few bits of caked in grease under the rim that I missed and so next session I'll try to finish it up. 
            I weighed 89.2 kilos before lunch. I had wheat thins with cream cheese and a glass of lemonade.
            My left arm was still hurting when I took a siesta and so I had to sleep less comfortably on my right side and on my back. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride to Yonge and Bloor. My energy was low, which I assume is another symptom of the second Moderna shot. I weighed 89.1 kilos when I got back.
            I worked on my poem series "My Blood In A Bug." 
            I sewed some more of the leather cover of My Roland amp towards its role in the video I'm making for my song "Instructions for Electroshock Therapy." I've almost finished the upper right section of the front and after that I have to connect vertically the two main pieces at the lower centre of the front.
            I colourized three more damage spots in my photo of the skateboarder. 
            I digitally repaired a photo I took in 1991 of a co-worker at Mr Mover. 
            I made pizza on naan with Basilicata sauce and extra old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching two episodes of Mayberry RFD. 
            In the first story Emmett's 28th wedding anniversary is coming up and he takes Martha's engagement ring to Mount Pilot to have it polished. Emmett bought the ring for $500 but now it's worth $1500. At the jewellers he sees a ring identical to Martha's diamond that is made of glass and worth $35. An old friend of his has told him about a failsafe stock investment involving two companies that are merging.He decides he can't pass up on a sure thing that will make Martha and he a lot of money. He pawns her ring for $1100 and buys the glass one, then he buys stock in the companies that are merging. But then it turns out that the merger doesn't go through after all. Martha gets her ring appraised for insurance purposes and discovers that it's glass. She is so upset she is about to go back to Acron but then realizes that her and Emmett need each other. There is no word on him getting the diamond back. 
            In the second story we learn that Goober has a brother named Braden who lives in California. Goober gets word that Braden is coming to visit and so he prepares a cot for him and a welcome home dinner with his old friends. Goober is sure that Braden will be impressed that Goober now owns his own gas station. At the dinner they learn that Braden works in an office for an aviation company. It is not until the waitress interupts with a long distance call from California and they hear Braden speak in the language of an engineer that they realize Braden is more than what they thought. Then two more calls come through, one from Washington and one from NASA and suddenly Sam remembers that he read an article about Braden Pyle being one of the most brilliant engineers in the country. Suddenly Goober feels very small and unimpressive. He tries to read up on engineering to impress his brother but realizes his mistake. He comes to the understanding that he's impressive as he is. Braden doesn't rub in their differences and he is quite humble. He gets called away but hopes to visit soon. 
            Braden was played by Woodrow Parfrey, who was said to bring a quirky charisma to every role he played. He starred on Broadway in "Advice and Consent", he played a prisoner in "Papillon", and an orangutan judge in Planet of the Apes. He lived in poverty during the depression and became a prisoner of war after the Battle of the Bulge. He is known for his roles in "The Outlaw Josey Wales" and "Charley Varrick."




No comments:

Post a Comment