Sunday 18 July 2021

Louise Glenn


            On Saturday morning the ache in my arm caused by my second dose of Moderna vaccine was almost gone. 
            I finished posting my translation of "Pas long feu" (Not For Long) by Serge Gainsbourg. The next song on my list is the dub version of "Marilou Reggae" from his 1979 reggae album. But I may not need to translate it or work out the chords because I already did that song from a previous album. For some of the years of his songs I have a song list at the top of the document but I didn't have a list for 1978 or 1977 and so I inserted those while looking for "Marilou Reggae." I didn't find it until I looked in the 1976 file but I'll have to check tomorrow if the two versions are the same. I suspect they are, in which case I'll move on to his song "Adieu California." 
            I weighed 88.9 kilos before breakfast.
            In the late morning I rode out in the rain to do some grocery shopping at No Frills. I bought two bags of cherries, two pints of very cheap strawberries, a pack of sirloin tip steaks, Sunlight detergent, a jar of sliced dill pickles, a jar of mango and lime salsa, a kilo of honey, Greek yogourt and some skyr. After paying for my items I realized that I'd forgotten to buy potatoes, so I went back in and got a five kilo bag of spuds from New Brunswick. 
            I weighed 89.1 kilos before lunch. I had wheat thins with old cheddar and a glass of lemonade.
            After my siesta the rain had stopped and so I took a bike ride to Yonge and Bloor. I was able to get ahead of the annoying Queen Street buses at Spadina. I weighed 88.7 kilos when I got home. 
            I worked on my poem series "My Blood In A Bug." 
            I almost finished sewing together the leather covering of the front of my Roland amp. I just have about ten stitches left to do at the bottom and then I've got to fold around and sew to the left side of the amp the part that's hanging down on the left of the front.
            I made two burgers with ground pork and grilled them in the oven. 
            I colourized three more damage spots in my photo of the skateboarder. 
            I digitally repaired some more of my photo from 1991 of a co-worker at Mr. Mover. 
            I had a pork burger on toasted Bavarian sandwich bread topped by pickle slices, ketchup, mustard and hot sauce. I had it with a beer while watching Mayberry RFD. 
            In the first story Mayberry decides to enter a float in the annual Pioneer Days Parade. Howard does some research and learns that the first settler in Mayberry was a woman and so they decide to make the theme of the float "The Pioneer Woman." The design is to have a pioneer woman sitting in front of a cabin but they need a big truck to carry it. Clara's nephew is the only one around with a truck that size and so they ask her to request of him the use of his truck. Meanwhile Goober, Howard and Emmett learn that the floats from the other towns are all going to have attractive, alluringly attired women on their floats in order to win the contest and so the boys decide that they need Millie to play the pioneer woman, but dressed in a revealing costume. However, Clara says that her nephew's donation of the use of the truck depends on her being the pioneer woman. Sam gives in but the other guys are upset with him. Sam resigns in anger. Howard comes up with a way to include Millie on the float as the pioneer woman's daughter but still skimpily dressed. On the day of the parade they try to put Clara partially behind some bushes while Millie, wearing a stereotypical Indiginous woman's short buckskin dress, sits at the front. The float is driven by Goober and he needs the cabin door open in order to see where he is going. But as the float starts rolling Clara decides she needs to be more visible and stands in front of the cabin door. With his vision impaired Goober crashes the float. For some reason everyone still blames Sam for the whole thing. Goober blames him for resigning and leaving them in charge because, "You know how stupid we are!" 
            In the second story the oil company that supplies Goober's gas station is holding a contest. The station owners that increase their sales by 200% win a trip to Hawaii and Goober is determined to win. He goes all out and puts signs all along the highway, offers free balloons and glassware. Then he kicks it into overdrive and starts to remain open 24 hours a day. When he checks his sales he finds that he's increased them by 212%. His friends are all impressed and organize a Hawaiian themed party to send Goober off. But before leaving for the party Goober learns that he made one big mistake. The contest is not scheduled to begin until the first of the month. He can't put in the same effort again and so he gives up. At the party he decides not to tell anyone that he's not going to Hawaii. They send him off at the bus but instead of Hawaii he goes to spend ten days in a room at the Pioneer Auto Court in Pine Lake. During his stay he makes a call to his friends in Mayberry and has a Hawaiian record playing loudly in the background while he's talking to fool them. But after hanging up they sense something fishy. Howard says it was 3:00 in Hawaii at the time of Goober's call. Sam asks the operator for the location of the call and finds out it was Pine Lake. He calls the oil company and learns that the contest hasn't even started. They decide not to say anything to Goober about what they know, so as not to make him feel bad. They welcome him when he returns and listen with enthusiasm to his lies about having been in Hawaii. 
            The woman who manages the Pioneer Auto Court was played by Louise Glenn, who played supporting roles in several movies and TV shows, including Beweitched. Her husband Richard Baer was a writer for Bewitched.

No comments:

Post a Comment