Friday 9 July 2021

Eve McVeagh


            On Thursday morning I looked for the chords for "Daisy Temple" by Serge Gainsbourg and found one set that claims it's just C minor and G minor throughout the song. I hear those notes but I feel there's also E flat and B flat in there as well. 
            I weighed 89.2 kilos before breakfast. 
            In the late morning I had planned on going for a bike ride and to stop off at Freshco on my way home, but it was pouring rain and so I stayed in and worked on cleaning my baking pan. My main target was the hard to get at groove between overhanging rim and the sides. I found a Phillips screwdriver worked pretty well for scraping most of the black, caked in grease out of there. All I have left to clean now are the outside and bottom of the pan. 
            Before lunch I went online and filled out the Ontario Seniors Dental Plan application form. The site says that to qualify I need to be not receiving any other dental benefits. I wonder if that means my Green Shield insurance but it would be unfair to exclude me because of that because they only pay something like $600 a year for limited types of dental work. After filling out the application I had to print it and I did but then after clicking "Next" there was an option to print it and so just in case their printed format was the one they wanted me to send in I clicked on that as well. After printing two versions I got them mixed up and by the time I got them sorted out it was past time for lunch so I didn't sign it or put it in an envelope. 
            I weighed 88.8 kilos before lunch. I had kettle chips with salsa and yogourt and a glass of orange juice. 
            I took a siesta half an hour later than usual and when I got up I posted my blog. By the time that was done it was around 17:00. The rain finally stopped around that time and so I took a bike ride, but since it was so late I only rode to Dovercourt and Bloor. I went south on Dovercourt but there was construction south of Dundas and so I rode down Lisgar and then to Northcote which brought me to the east side of Freshco. I went in and found the cherries on sale and so I got three bags. I also bought two pints of strawberries, a bag of naan, a pack of chicken drumsticks, three bags of milk, two cans of peaches, skyr, Greek yogourt, lemonade and a container of Folgers Intensely Dark coffee, which was on sale for $6.99. 
            I weighed 88.9 kilos at 18:00. 
            I worked on my poem series "My Blood In A Bug." 
            I sewed some more of the leather cover for my Roland amp in preparation for my video for my song "Instructions For Electroshock Therapy." There's no danger of any of the leather pieces falling off now because they are all horizontally secure, so it's just a matter of sewing them together vertically in order to conceal the fact that it's a guitar amp. 
            I sorted out my application for the Ontario Seniors Dental Plan so that all the papers are in order. It's just a matter of now of signing it in all the places required, putting it in an envelope and sending it in, which I think I'll do tomorrow. 
            I colourized a couple more damage spots in my photo of the skateboarder. 
            I had a potato with gravy and two chicken drumsticks for dinner while watching two episodes of Mayberry RFD. 
            In the first story Millie goes to Emma Whittaker's dress shop in Mount Pilot to look at a new line of dresses. Miss Rogers, the designer of the line happens to be there and is impressed with the way Millie looks in her dresses. Millie is pretty but doesn't have the typical "hollow" look of regular fashion models and so she thinks she'd be perfect for her line. She asks Millie to come to New York for a month to do a shoot for her and Millie agrees. After two weeks Sam only gets one post card from Millie and all of his friends, including Goober and his new girlfriend Hilda keep talking about the temptations of the big city and so finally Sam gets worried. Under the pretence of investing some stocks at Wall Street Sam goes to New York. Millie is happy to see him and drags him along to a big party where Sam feels out of place. When Sam gets her alone and she says she'd rather be in Mayberry, Sam asks her to leave right away. She says she just has to say goodbye to some people so meanwhile Sam sits in a chair. Two attractive models come up to flirt with him and when Millie sees that she drags Sam away. It's not really much of a story. 
            Mrs Whittaker was played by Eve McVeagh, who worked 52 years in theatre, radio, film and television. She co-starred in Snafu on Broadway. On radio she played Mrs harriet Beatty on The Clyde Beatty Show. In her first film she played Mildred Fuller in High Noon. She co-starred in Tight Spot and The Glass Web. She was a full voting member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. She was a primary cast member of the soap opera Faraway Hill. Alfred Hitchcock hired her six times for his TV series and she was a frequent guest on Johnny Carson. She played Frances Moseby on The Clear Horizon and Miss Hammond on Petticoat Junction. She played Helen Carrington in the TV movie Murder By Natural Causes. She was a voice coach at the Film Actors Workshop and guest lectured at the University of Southern California. 
            Hilda was played by Linda Meiklejohn, who served as an ambassador at the 1974 Golden Globe Awards. Her father was a casting director who discovered Ronald Reagan. 


            One of the models flirting with Sam was played by Farrah Fawcett, who earned a degree in microbiology before going to Hollywood. She made commercials for Ultra Brite and Wella Balsam and then met Lee Majors. Five years later they married. She got a recurring role in the series Harry O and came to the attention of Aaron Spelling, who cast her in Charlie's Angels. She and her hair became super famous and she made millions from her famous poster alone. Women all over the world wanted to copy her hair style. She left Majors for Ryan O'Neal. She broke her contract with Charlie's Angels at the height of its popularity because she wanted to do movies. He move backfired and her career plummetted. Later though she climbed back up in the public eye as a dramatic actor with "Extremities" and "The Burning Bed" and "Small Sacrifices." She posed for playboy at the age of 48 and it was the best selling issue of the 90s. She costarred in The Apostle and Dr T and the Women. 


            In the second story Mike's birthday is approaching and he is planning a party. It turns out that a new girl named Sally has her birthday the same day. At first there is no conflict because Mike and his friends are at an age when they don't really want to hang out with girls. But then Sally tells them that she is offering expensive prizes like baseball gloves and transistor radios at her party and suddenly the boys make excuses to not come to Mike's event. But later Sally comes to Mike and confesses that her father told her she can't offer the prizes she promised. Mike invites Sally to combine her birthday party with his at his place and so all the girls and boys party together. Goober is also a big hit as the party magician, using the magic set he bought as a present for Mike. 
            Sally was played by Christine Matchett.



No comments:

Post a Comment