Saturday 4 December 2021

Carolyn Jones


            On Friday morning I ran through singing and playing my translation of “Mangos” by Serge Gainsbourg and I uploaded it to Christian's Translations to prepare it for blog publication. I'll probably have that done tomorrow. 
            I weighed 88.2 kilos before breakfast. 
            I got an email from Professor Lopez saying he agrees with the low mark I received on my Shakespeare essay. He goes on to say that Shakespeare doesn't mention borders. So what? They were obviously there as my essay proves. He also says that people don't have difficulty crossing borders as I claim, but I showed that everyone but Autolycus has stress over border crossing in The Winter's Tale. He suggests that my use of the term “the fourth wall” is anachronistic. Whether Shakespeare called it the fourth wall or not it exists. We're supposed to be looking at Shakespeare from a 21st Century perspective. I'm very disappointed with this course because I thought that it was a literature course and like a literature course would reward innovative thinking about the literature being studied. It's the lowest mark I've ever gotten on an English term paper and I can name at least ten professors that would have given me an A for this essay. I've lost all respect and hope for this course. 
            I read chapter six of Salvage The Bones by Jesmyn Ward. Daddy's trying to prepare the house for hurricane Katrina and accidentally cuts three fingers off. 
            I read Act 2 Scene 2 of Othello. Iago gets Cassio drunk and then gets Rodorigo in disguise to provoke him so he gets in a swordfight with Montano and wounds him. Othello arrives having heard the alarm from his bedroom and he demotes Cassio since he was supposed to be on guard duty. 
            I weighed 87.7 kilos before lunch. 
            I woke up fifteen minutes later than planned from my siesta and rushed to get ready for my bike ride. I rode to Yonge and Bloor and south to Colleges. I turned on my flashers and rode west to Ossington, then south to Queen and then west. I weighed 86.9 kilos when I got home. 
            I read chapter seven of Salvage The Bones. There's a big fight at a basketball game between Esch's brothers and some other guys. It ends up in a challenge to a dog fight and Skeet accepts even though China has just had puppies. 
            I read Act 3 Scene 1 of Othello. Cassio, at Iago's coaxing, is trying to get back in good with Othello through Othello's wife Desdemona. He doesn't realize this is part of Iago's elaborate and devious plan to entrap Cassio and have Othello think he's fucking his wife. 
            I had a potato with gravy and two chicken drumsticks while watching an episode of The Addams Family. In this story, Lurch has received his invitation to the annual butler's ball. He never goes and Morticia and Gomez ask him why. He confesses that he is a wallflower and so they se about to try to teach Lurch to dance. First, they hire a professional dance instructor. The school knows the Addams family and sends their least popular instructor, Sally O'Rourke. Sally faints as soon as she sees Lurch and then faints twice more when she wakes up to see Thing and Pugsley's lizard. But then when she tries to teach Lurch, he faints. Wednesday tries to teach Lurch ballet but he ends up breaking furniture. Morticia tries to instruct him in the Twist but Lurch throws his back out and has to be fixed on the rack. Gomez then teaches Lurch to tango. Lurch goes to the ball dressed as Little Lord Fauntleroy but nobody wants to dance with him. Morticia goes in disguise in a gold lame gown and mask and she asks Lurch to dance the tango with her. Lurch suddenly breaks free of his inhibitions and wins the dance trophy.
            Sally was played by Penney Parker, who replaced Sherry Jackson as Terry Williams on the final season of the Danny Thomas Show. She co-starred as Maybelle on the short-lived sitcom Margie.
            Morticia Addams was played by Carolyn Jones and she was the personal choice of cartoonist Charles Addams, who created the character, to take on the role. She married Aaron Spelling in 1953 after proposing to him when he was still poor. Her breakthrough film came that same year in “House of Wax”. In 1956 she starred in Invasion of the Body Snatchers and in 1957 “The Bachelor Party” in which she said, “Just say you love me. You don’t have to mean it.” She played Cindy Fontaine in Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much. She won a Golden Globe Award for her role in Marjorie Morningstar. She co-starred with Elvis in King Creole. Many say her best performance was as Shirley Drake in Career. She played Wonder Woman's mother Hippolyta on the Wonder Woman TV series. On the Addams Family, she also played Morticia's twin sister Ophelia Frump. She co-starred as a madame in the horror film Eaten Alive.














No comments:

Post a Comment