Thursday 2 December 2021

Frozen Elvis


            On Wednesday morning I woke up at around 2:30 and found a bedbug on me. It was small and dark, probably sick, and didn't have any blood inside and though I didn't see another I felt like I could feel them and smell them all night. That doesn't mean they were really there though.
            I worked out the chords to most of “Mangos” by Serge Gainsbourg. There's just a repeated segment at the end and I'm pretty sure I'll have that done on Thursday. 
            I weighed 88.3 kilos before breakfast. I logged in to the Shakespeare lecture. I think Professor Lopez said our exam will be available to download on Monday. Once we've downloaded it we have a certain amount of time to complete and upload it. I'll probably download it on the latest day possible so I have more time to prepare.
            I still have too much reading to do before decoding my lectures from last week or this week.
            Right after the lecture I got dressed and headed down to the Parkdale Queen West Community Health Centre to find out what time my appointment was. I had to wait a few minutes to talk with the dental receptionist. It's a good thing I came then because it turned out that my appointment was for 11:00. 
            I had time to ride to Freedom Mobile and deposit $45 in my account towards changing my pre-paid phone plan to one with less data. Then to go home and have a quick breakfast of peanut butter on a slice of Bavarian sandwich bread and spoon size shredded wheat with canned peaches and honey. I flossed, mouth washed and brushed my teeth, and then headed back to the health centre. I had to wait at least half an hour anyway. 
            Dr. Lake was quite friendly and had a good manner. She froze the upper central part of my mouth and over about an hour did fillings for about four of my centre top teeth. One in particular on the right side was embarrassingly black but she got the cavity drilled out and filled it. On our next appointment, she'll do the rest of the fillings. I told her that one of my upper left teeth was grinding against a lower one. She told me to remind her next time and she'd adjust the bite of that tooth. She also said that Ontario is going to allow the dental hygienists to work again and I could probably get an appointment sometime in the New Year. That was good news. 
            I'd thought that my next appointment was for December 10 but the receptionist said it was on the morning of December 15. I said I couldn't do it. He said they are booked until February but he might be able to switch me with another patient and get me in for Friday, January 7. That should be okay for me if I can get it. My classes in the new year are on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. I'll call him on Friday to see if the switch was made. 
            When I got home I looked in the mirror to see my mouth looked a lot better and whiter than it has looked for years. But it was funny because my mouth was still frozen and so it wouldn't open fully on the right side. It gave me an Elvis smile and so I took a few pictures. 
            I called Freedom Mobile and changed my pre-paid plan since I didn't use all the data in the plan from last month. I asked for the cheapest plan with some data and there's one where I get ten gigs of data and unlimited calling and texting and as a Black Friday deal, it's $30 for the next six months. I took that one. 
            I weighed 87.5 kilos before lunch. I had Breton crackers with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of blackberry drink but it was very hard to eat with a frozen mouth because I couldn't tell the difference between the food and my lips. They both felt like foreign objects in my mouth and I couldn't tell clearly if the food was going in or sitting outside on my lips. 
            My mouth was still a bit frozen when I woke up from my siesta but not too bad. I took a bike ride to Yonge and Bloor, south to College, west to Ossington, south to Queen, and then west. I weighed 87.2 kilos when I got home. 
            There was an email from Professor Lopez telling me he would review my essay to see if my mark was fair and get back to me by Friday afternoon. 
            I got caught up on my journal at around 20:00. 
            I made pizza on naan with arrabbiata sauce, pepperoni, and extra old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching an episode of The Addams Family. 
            In this story a Washington bureaucrat named Harris is giving two Russian diplomats a tour of the United States. But they think they are not seeing the typical US family. Harris agrees to take them anywhere they want and so they randomly stick a pin in the phone book and it hits the Addams family. Harris knows the Addamses and doesn't want the Russians to go there which of course makes them want to go there. They see Morticia feeding hamburger to her plant Cleopatra, they meet Thing and then they meet Lurch. They think the intelligent plant, the hand without a body, and Lurch show that US scientists have developed the three stages of robotics. They also see Pugsley demonstrate his real, working disintegrator gun. The Russians decide that the United States is far more advanced than they thought and they send a message back to Russia that they should tread carefully in relation to the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment