Thursday 9 December 2021

December 9, 1991: I decorated the Christmas tree and I couldn't wait for my baby daughter to see it


Thirty years ago today

            On Monday I finally got my Legal Aid certificate and I went up to my lawyer's office but he didn't have time to see me. I didn't want to just hand the certificate over to him because I had some questions for him about it. Like what was happening with the custody case and what opinion of it he would be giving to Legal Aid. I was also afraid that he was unsympathetic with my situation.
           I went looking for a Christmas tree. I walked along the Danforth all the way to Pape and finally found one a little over a meter tall for $12 at a Korean variety store. 
            When I got it home I didn't have a base so I had to improvise with an ornate flour can full of sand. I balanced the tree with unraveled coat hangers hooked to the radiator. I watered it with spring water and molasses and went out to buy some tinsel. The lights that I'd found in the basement turned out to be blinkers. The place was a mess with tinsel and dirt all over the floor but I got the tree all decorated before leaving for work and I couldn't wait for my baby daughter to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment