Friday 10 December 2021

Roland Winters


            On Thursday morning I woke up at around 4:15 and since I'd gone to bed early the night before I was too wide awake to stay in bed past 4:30 so I got up. 
            I worked a bit on editing my November 30 US Lit lecture notes and went on to Quercus to download the slides from the Tuesday lecture. 
            I started yoga a few minutes earlier than usual. 
            I finished memorizing “Bambou” by Serge Gainsbourg and looked for the chords. I found a set and started transcribing them but didn't have time to finish. Since I have to write my Shakespeare test sometime on Friday I might not work on the chords until Saturday. 
            I weighed 87.5 kilos before breakfast. 
            I finished editing my November 30 US Lit lecture notes and started on the December 1 Shakespeare lecture. My Shakespeare test is tomorrow and I still have that lecture and two more to decode from my notes before writing the exam and uploading it prior to midnight. I'm hoping to have it finished and handed in before Friday evening though. 
            I weighed 87.4 kilos before lunch. I had french fries with salsa, yogourt and ketchup and a glass of orange juice. 
            I took a bike ride to Bloor and Dovercourt. At the corner of Dundas and Dovercourt there's a restaurant that seems to specialize entirely in drinks and desserts made out of pomegranate. It's an odd location for such a niche business. 
            I stopped at Freshco on the way home. The grapes were all soft so I got two bags of grapefruits instead. I also bought a half-pint of raspberries, a half-pint of blueberries, a bag of naan, a pack of five year old cheddar, two cans of peaches, pasta sauce, salsa, orange juice, kettle chips, Breton crackers, and shampoo-conditioner. 
            I weighed 86.5 kilos at 17:00. I finished editing the December 1 Shakespeare lecture and started on the one for December 6. 
            I grilled four Mediterranean style salmon fillets and had one with a potato and gravy while watching an episode of The Addams Family.
            In this story they decide to take a family vacation but since they've been everywhere they think they would like to go to the Moon. Gomez consults Whizzo the supercomputer that he and Pugsley built together. Whizzo is large, makes a lot of noise and has a big spinning part at the top. Whizzo concludes it will cost just over $1 billion to go to the Moon. Gomez's financial advisor Ralph Hulen thinks it's an absurd idea and besides that they don't have the money. Gomez says they will raise it by having Whizzo pick the winners of horse races. He gives Hulen $2000 to place the first bet, but Hulen tells his assistant Harwood Witty that he's not going to place the bet to he can show them when they lose that he didn't waste their money. But they win. By the time Hulen gets to their house several races have been run and if he had made the bets and re-bet the winnings they would now have $8 million. The next horse they've bet on pays a hundred to one and Hulen is hoping they will lose but they win and he faints. But then the horse is disqualified. 
            Hulen was played by Roland Winters, who worked in radio from 1931 to 1947. He starred as Charlie Chan in “The Docks of New Orleans” and “The Feathered Serpent” and four other films. He played Elvis's father in Blue Hawaii.



No comments:

Post a Comment