Wednesday 15 December 2021

Eddie Quillan


            On Tuesday morning the underwear that I'd washed the day before was still damp but I had no choice but to wear it anyway. It wasn't really very uncomfortable and it had dried on my body by the time I finished song practice. 
            I struggled with figuring out the chords for the instrumental bridge between the chorus and the second verse of “Bambou” by Serge Gainsbourg. I think I got it though.
            I weighed 88 kilos before breakfast. 
            I took an early siesta at around 11:30 until 13:00. 
            I weighed 86.7 kilos before lunch. 
            I finished reading my US Lit lecture notes and created a new document to list the names of authors with their works, the dates of publication and the characters spoken of. Just over a day left before my exam. I'm not all that worried about it but I'll be glad when it's over. 
            I tried to do my TA assessments but the link provided asked for confirmation of a Microsoft account. When I typed in my email I got a message that I had to access the assessment through my educational institution. I went onto Quercus but the same link was there. In previous years they used Survey Monkey for the assessments and that was easily accessed. This will be the first year I didn't get a chance to assess my TA. 
            I took a bike ride in the afternoon. A few doors up from my place someone had thrown out a perfectly good pair of Blundstones. They were too small for me but I picked them up and put them on an also discarded red chair where people could see them and grab them. I rode to Bloor and Dovercourt. I weighed 86.3 kilos when I got home. 
            I re-read almost a third of my lecture notes and took down information about authors , works, dates and characters as I went along. 
             At 18:30 I took an hour siesta. 
            I had a potato with gravy and a slice of roast pork for dinner while watching an episode of The Addams Family. I wasn't going to watch a show tonight but I decided I didn't want to wolf down my food in front of a screen but to relax for a while. 
            In this story Gomez and Fester are playing “sea battle” with a live cannon shooting at a painting of a ship on the wall. But Fester has put too much gunpowder in the cannon so after it fires the painting becomes a picture of a sinking ship and water is leaking out because the shot broke the pipe in the wall. Arthur J Henson Insurance is tired of paying out to the Addamses for the damage they do. But Vice President Horace Beesley points out where it says in the contract that after a fourth payout the policy is cancelled. Thinking that he is rid of Addams, Henson pays for one final time. But meanwhile because of the damage Gomez cuts off Fester's allowance for twenty years. Fester decides to get a job and sees an ad by Henson asking for a salesman. When Fester comes to Beesley's office Beesley is so frightened that he lets Fester have the job, thinking that no one would buy from him anyway. He is right except that Gomez buys a policy and so he has a new contract. Henson and Beesley go to the Addams house to try to get Gomez to back out. He won't so Henson calls his boss at the controlling company Excelso Fidelity and finds out that Gomez owns the company. Gomez decides to promote Beesley and make him Henson's boss. 
            Beesley's secretary was played by Canadian actor Bebe Kelly. She co-starred in the movie “Fangs” and played nurse Clover on Trapper John MD. 
            Beesley was played by Eddie Quillan, who at the age of seven started performing on Vaudeville in a brother and sister act called The Rising Generation. In 1929 he starred in the silent film The Sophomore. He co-starred in Big Money in 1939. He played Eddie Edson on the sitcom Julia.





No comments:

Post a Comment