Friday 17 December 2021

Judy the Chimp


            On Thursday morning I think I had a mild case of food poisoning from undercooking the pork that I'd put on the pizza last night. I'd gotten home so late and I was in too much of a hurry to eat. Most of the headache went away during song practice. 
            I finished working out the chords for “Bambou” by Serge Gainsbourg and ran through it in French. I still have to play and sing my translation to see if everything works. I should have it uploaded to Christian's Translations tomorrow. 
            I weighed 87 kilos before breakfast. 
            There was a general email from U of T saying that because of Omicron all in-person exams starting today would be cancelled and the assessments would just be added up from earlier work in courses. That means I took the last in-person exam. It's hard to say right now whether it would have been better for me if they'd cancelled them a day earlier. Also it looks like my next course will be online until at least January 31. 
            In the late morning, I headed downtown for my usual pre-Christmas trip to St Lawrence Market. I started going east along Queen because I wanted to see how far the west the streetcar track renewal has gone. The road is now closed at Dovercourt. I went south to King and east to Jarvis and then down to the market. 
           I went to Domino Foods to get a variety of bulk candy to send my daughter. I took twice as long there as usual because she had asked me to label the items I bought. As I was leaving the store I noticed they had a brand of chips called Covered Bridge. I suspected they might be from Hartland, New Brunswick and I was close. They are from Waterville, which is only about fifteen kilometers away from where I was raised. I went back and bought two bags for sentimental reasons. 
           I went upstairs and bought a dozen sesame seed Montreal-style bagels. I bought half a kilogram of bacon and some hot pepperoni sticks. The tattooed guy behind the counter at sausage King said, “Have a good one dude!”
            I rode west and stopped at Freshco where I bought two bags of oranges, two of grapefruit, two half-pints of blueberries, a can of peaches, a can of fruit cocktail, a pack of five year old cheddar and a jug of orange juice. It was already 14:45 when I got home. 
            I weighed 85.7 kilos before lunch. 
            I took a late siesta until 17:00.
            I was caught up with my journal at 19:24. 
            I had a potato with gravy and a slice of roast pork while watching two episodes of the Addams Family. 
            In the first story Pugsley's missiles that he builds and launches from his bedroom have caught the attention of the Bureau of Mysterious Space Objects. The boss Professor Altshuler sends two investigators Hinckley and Gilbert to Cemetery Lane to investigate. Meanwhile Morticia, Gomez, Fester, Lurch, Thing and Itt go on a midnight picnic. On the radio they learn that unidentified flying objects have been sighted in their area. When Hinckley and Gilbert arrive and see the Addams family they think they are Martians but the Addamses think Hinckley and Gilbert are aliens. They capture the two men and secure one in stocks while putting the other in the iron maiden. Gomez calls the MSO and Professor Altshuler arrives. He points out the window at hundreds of bombers above ready to attack. When he realizes the Addams family are not aliens he calls off the assault. Pugsley does not appear in this episode but apparently in the end he contributes to missile defense. 
            Gilbert was played by Jimmy Cross, who played Jesse the elevator man on the sitcom How To Marry A Millionaire. 
            In the second story a chimpanzee wanders away from its organ grinder and wanders into the Addams house where it befriends Pugsley, who gives it his spare shirt and pants to wear. Pugsley wanders into a room where Fester is trying to do a conjuring spell. There is an explosion and Pugsley goes against the wall, tripping a secret door and ending up in a hidden room full of treasure and old comic books. Meanwhile Fester recovers from the explosion, looks for his nephew and sees a chimp dressed like Pugsley in his place. Fester thinks he accidentally turned Pugsley into a chimp. Fester tries and fails several times to get Pugsley back. Meanwhile Pugsley is engaged in reading a Green Avenger comic. Fester holds a seance and around this time Pugsley finished the comic and starts calling for help. Later Fester flips the hidden door, then Pugsley comes out but Fester disappears behind the wall. 
            The chimp was played by Judy the Chimpanzee, who starred in “Jambo”, “Daktari”, “The Monkey's Uncle”, “Cowboy In Africa” and “The Misadventures of Merlin Jones.”

No comments:

Post a Comment